Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Steering caster question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 12:22 AM
jakebrake
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Steering caster question.

Adding caster by pushing the bottom of the axle forward. It will help with the death wobble, but the main cause of the death wobble needs to be fixed (which is worn parts).

Old 12-22-2007, 12:27 AM
chouseal
Veteran

I've completely replaced the front end... new bushings (poly), ball joints and steering linkage, plus the track bar. I'm just wondering if adding all possible caster will help avoid the return of the wobble anytime soon? That's some scary mess.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:35 AM
jakebrake
Champion

More caster is harder on steering parts be cause it makes the truck harder to turn (truck wants to track straight).

Old 12-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Not even close

Thanks for the info Jake! If I adjust the eccentrics on the control arms, will it wear the insides of the tires? When I adjust them, do I roll the cams the same amount on both sides or does it depend on where they are already?

Old 12-22-2007, 09:05 PM
jakebrake
Champion

I would move them the same amount on both sides. I would add a degree at a time and see how it drives. Caster really doesn't affect tire wear. I think your thinking of camber where the top of the tire is closer to the frame then the bottom of the tire..

Old 05-08-2008, 09:57 AM
lifted ram

I am having the same issues with my front end, have replaced all components that are bad and i have ordered a pro fab track bar which the alighnment shop is telling is not bad but will help with the problem...
I have a 6.5 inch lift on my truck with 37 inch cooper stt on it and my control arm caster adjusters are 180 degrees offset which is causing my right side of the axle to be shifted 3\4 of an inch rearward in the truck...
The shop tells me that is normal but i still have issues with it pulling to the
LEFT and wandering in the road and they tell me that is the best it will get because of the lift and tires, now i have had trucks with 44 inch hawgs and 40 inch swamppers on them and have been able to let go of the wheel at 80 mph and it run straight down the road...
I guess i am at my wits end with the whole steering issue and dont know which way to go from here...
any info you have will help greatly before i pull the whole axle out and rebuild....
Thanx

Quick Reply: Steering caster question.