Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Strange noise under load only

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:24 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise under load only

Ok, I'll try to explain this best I can. I dropped the CTD off to have a front replacment bumper installed about a week ago. As soon as I picked it up , I noticed a slight vibration in the gas pedal. And at highway speeds it would start to howl like the fan clutch was fully engaging. It will sound normal then start to howl for a minute then go away and then just keep cycleing like that the whole time. I thought maybe it was the drive train or tranny making noise so I put it in nuetral and let the motor idle down and I can here the howl reduce with the engine rpm's. I can sit in the driveway and rev the engine but have not been able to duplicate the noise or vibration. And the vibration almost feels like a slight grinding or some kind of metal on metal feel (if that makes any sense).
Seems like it has to be under a load. I even thought about maybe its the new bumper and wind blowing through it or the fact that there is 6" of exposed federwell hanging down now with no support ( Baja style bumper ).

I tested that theory by kicking it up to 110 mph on the freeway. They don't start to vibrate till around 100 and then they just start "popping" loudly.
Then I started thinking about the turbo passably makeing noise but I would think that would be a high pitched sound not like the low pitch howl I hear. I hate the thought of dropping it off at the dealer and they keep it for 2 days and can't duplicate the problem.
So I am think just drive the hell out of it and let what ever it is just go ahead and break?

Anyone on here in the Houston area and good with CTD's? Would love for someone to drive my truck and tell me what you think.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, it's a 2007 2500 4x4 quad cab with 5.9L

Old 11-14-2007, 11:25 AM
savage.basher
Default RE: Strange noise under load only

Hmm.. Has to be somethig with the bumper, since you noticed the problem imediately when you picked it up. There is always a chance that it is unrelated but the chances of that are very slim (especially ona brand new truck). I guess it is possible that during the installation of the bumper the mechanic/installer damaged something under the hood (fan blade or something??). Anywho, I would try to figure it out soon, that way if it is the installer's fault they can be held responsible still.

Do you have any other "mods" to your truck besides the bumper?

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 11-14-2007, 01:00 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned
Default RE: Strange noise under load only

I know I know, where are the pics. I promise I will get some up this weekend. I don't have any pic's at all of my truck but after I get the leveling kit and and bushwacker pocket flares installed this weekend, I'll take some pics.
As for other mods? It's a short list right now but here goes...........

Current mods
-XD Badlands chrome wheels 18x9
-Pro Comp 35" x 12.5" x 18 Extreme A/T's
-J-Mark Wheel to wheel 5" (yes I said 5" ) oval black powder coated steps.
-Trail Boss "Sendera Runner" front replacment Baja style bumper black powder coated
-Topguncustomz 2" front leveling kit
-Bushwacker pocket style fender flares with upgraded Chrome fasteners
-Mopar tailgate spoiler/protector

Mods currently working on:
-Chrome plated diamond plate floor mats ( REAL diamond plate, I am makeing them as we speak)
-Mopar door entry guards
-Tough Country deluxe rear tube bumper ( If you haven't seen it you gotta take a look)

Future mods
-Line-X bedliner
-Line-X bedliner on the fender flares
-Turbo back 5" with cat delete
-Banks or Bully programmer, not sure witch way to go yet on this one
-Upgrade intake, also not decided whitch way to go yet.

Mods I am looking for but can't find:
-Smoked tail lights for an 07 Ram, I want them shaped as they are now, not the old style
-Skid plate to cover the radiator/oil cooller area

Quick Reply: Strange noise under load only