Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Do you need to upgrade tranny for a chip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:48 AM
sallyman1
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you need to upgrade tranny for a chip?

I have a stock 2004.5 ram 2500 5.9 cummins. I pull a 34 foot (7500 lbs dry) camper in the summer. My truck only does it decently with the towhaul button pushed in (4 speed auto). It seems that when i have my camper and truck loaded i will need a tad more power. If i add a edge juice attitude and bump it up to another 75-100 HP will it be good for the tranny and drivetrain or not? also would it be able to stay in overdrive more (if no hills) or hard to say?

Old 11-25-2007, 10:09 AM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Do you need to upgrade tranny for a chip?

you could use a tranny lock up controller that would help you stay in lower gears while towing. The performance box can help with the power but, won't do much for the tranny. ATS, Suncoast, TS performance all make trans controllers.

Tranny work isn't cheap but, well worth the money in the long run. If you're towing all the time and want to add a performance box, it would behove you to at least do your VB ( valve body ) & TQ ( torque converter ). Your shifting will be great improved, it will help keep the heat down in the tranny and you'll be able to put better power tothe ground. It would help with mpg's too.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:36 AM
sallyman1
Captain

how much are these controllers? ATS suncoast and TS? how do they hookup? do u stack them onto obd2 port with the edge juice?

Old 11-25-2007, 10:42 AM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: sallyman1

how much are these controllers? ATS suncoast and TS? how do they hookup? do u stack them onto obd2 port with the edge juice?
They aren't cheap but, well worth the money. They will have nothing to do with your Edge or the OBD port. You can read about them......
The Suncoast controller is for older truck so that one won't work

ATS

TS performance

Quick Reply: Do you need to upgrade tranny for a chip?