Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2003 CTD Ball joints warranty ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007 | 10:53 PM
cj7 bob
|
Amateur
Default 2003 CTD Ball joints warranty ??

My 2003 2500 4X4 CTD, 86,000 miles,ball joints have slack in them, I have read somewhere that they are covered under warranty because they are non-serviceable. Did a search but came up wilth nothing. Thought I would ask before I even headed to the stealership.

Old 11-25-2007 | 11:40 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Default RE: 2003 CTD Ball joints warranty ??

I think they are covered under warranty if your vehicle is still under warranty. with 86000 on it I dunno if you would still be in warranty. I thought most were 75000 or less. perhaps i'm way off. your best bet if it's not under warranty is to buy a new set that has a grease zerk on them they will outlast the vehicle. mebbe not taht long but for example my 97 jeep TJ has factory ball joints still on it with 110k on it no slack at all.

Old 11-26-2007 | 08:18 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Definatley don't replace it with Dodge parts from the stealership. You'll just be paying some one else to do it again in the near future.

I replaced my uppers and lowerswith MOOG and have about 140k on them and they are just as tight as they were the day I put them on.

Old 11-26-2007 | 09:19 AM
BTCRUZ
Professional

Unless you bought the extended bumper-to-bumper warranty the ***** won't be covered. Only drive train is covered after the basic 36,000 mile warranty. Going through that issue with my truck as we speak, as well as steering box play (which the stealership insists is not there). The waaa-waaa-waaa vibration at 68-73 MPH that again, the stealerships insist isn't there. Have been to 3 non-dealership repair shops and they agree the vibration is there, but can't find or fix it.

Wife's Pacifica also going in the shop for ball joint at 50K miles. Can't find aftermarket replacements either. The ***** are made onto the rod itself, so the entire rod has to be replaced. $500 to do the one side (parts and labor). The torn open boot on the CV shaft and subsequent heavy rust though will be covered as drive train warranty. Hopefully this will fix the heavy thunking and grinding in the front end. Already spent $400+ to have the sway bar fixed and a few other things they thought it was the first 3 times we took it in.
It's gettin ridiculous.

I can't believe how they have cheaped out on these non-servicable parts, especially on a heavy duty truck. I'd gladly pay a little extra when I buy the truck if the dang things came with good parts.

I'm just about disgusted with these vehicles at this point. I had plans for a lifted truck with a lot of beels and whistles, now I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money on it. The cummins is a great engine, too bad everything else attached to itis junk. The Pacifica can go to the junkyard as far as I'm concerned. Didn't like it when she bought it (tried to talk her into the Honda Pilot instead) and especially hate the thing now that it's been in the shop about 15 times.

Guess I just needto get asecond mortgage to replace the front end of my truck with aftermarket stuff and drive shafts, tranny and transfer case, maybe that'll make the thing at least decent again.

Sigh....

ok,/rant off

Sorry, just tired and stressed over these vehicles...

Quick Reply: 2003 CTD Ball joints warranty ??