Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Pro Comp tire update...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:30 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pro Comp tire update...

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

awww

im just kidding but a larger tire may help your gas mileage with highway mileage....
I have yet to see a larger tire help mileage... I think it's the rotational pass that kills the mileage. stock tire/wheel setup weighs what 50~60 lbs ea? vs (in my case) 32 lbs for the rim & 67 lbs for the tire (~105 lbs per corner)... that's alot of mass to get rolling every time you start off... I know I know "but you have all the torque of a diesel, it'll push anything" <voice of a sarcastic whiner>... the lighter the mass, the easier it is to push, the less fuel to push it.
i agree but it still looks a lot better who goes down in size these days..... but after the tires already going wouldnt it be a little better? i know my mileage is gonna suck when i get tires but eh... watever im not gonna get any better...

Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 AM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

so what are we doin to the truck mayfair!!! I got my tools ready!

Greg -- You aint old enough to even know what that IS little alone claim to have it ready

Glad to see you get some killer #'s outta the Pro-Comps. I wish I could still be running mine.

Energy - how is this guy getting Pro-Comps out side of 4 Wheel Parts?? I thought 4 Wheel owned Pro-Comp?

Old 11-29-2007, 08:50 AM
ZmanTRX4
Professional

When I bought my truck it had 285/70/17 mud terrains on it but they were only load range D so I traded them straight up for a set of the upgraded chrome wheels with the stock bfg rugged trail 265's and I gained 2 mpg's. The 8 ply tires were no good for me because they squated too bad for the 13k trailer I pull regularly. But now i'm getting the fever again to get larger tires, are there any 285 load range E A/T's out there for a decent price?

Old 11-29-2007, 08:59 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

As far as I know, anyone can sell Pro Comp. I had NTB quote me a price on these for about $1400. Thats when I started looking on Ebay. I found a local guy selling on ebay and went to check it out. Turns out they are an average size Truck accessory shop and tire shop. They sell "Tough Country" products and some ranch hand also. The only tire that they stock in large #'s and different sizes is the Pro Comp Extreme, Pro Comp Mud Terrain, And Pro Comp A/T.

They also get their hands on a few "Blemished sets" . I almost bought the same set that I have for $800 in the "Blems". All it is, is the "O" in Pro Comp got stamped wrong. The O looks oval instead of round. Other than that there is nothing wrong with it. Pro Comp sells these blemished tires to the dealers at a big discount instead of junking them. But I went ahead and bought regular Pro Comps for $950 for the set.

If anyone is interested, I can go by there and take pictures of the place and give you all the info, and you can call them your self. But I think I can arrange better pricing because he knows me and I have dealt with him before.
You deal directly thru them, I will have no part of it. But I know I can get a better price and let him know who will be calling.

I'll give you an example: I could have bought my wheels and tires from him for $1775 total out the door. That was for the same wheel in a 20" wheel. Problem was it had the wrong offset for my setup and I couldn't run the 35"s
He also had a brand new set of 20" Jax with 35" Pro Comps for $1500 out the door. They wouldn't fit either. So we had to order my special order the wheels I wanted and he charged me alot more for the wheel but I got my Tires for $950.

I'm just trying to help here. It's no sweat off my back and I just can't see someone paying that much for a set of Pro Comps when I know what I payed for them.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:07 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

hey froger.... isnt that root beer?

but as far as AT's with an E rating... pro comp extreme at LT305/65R17 is an e rating... and im sure there are plenty other tires you can get.... depends on rim size as well....

Old 11-29-2007, 09:16 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

well i am heading up to boone NC to pick up a set of used Pro Comp X TERRAINS for $100 with around 50% tread life left! They are 35x12.50R17 and figured I would put them on the truck after my coopers are burnt off :-)

i like pro comps, just not the noise....

Old 11-29-2007, 09:36 AM
sharx ram
Champion

hey froger.... isnt that root beer?

but as far as AT's with an E rating... pro comp extreme at LT305/65R17 is an e rating... and im sure there are plenty other tires you can get.... depends on rim size as well....
In your case yes Tdmopar59 hehehe

Old 11-29-2007, 09:38 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ouch... age sux.... well sharx.... i get carded for just about anything but they give you the super duper senior discount card and they dont even card ya... must say pretty impressive!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:40 AM
cujo
Captain

ouch... age sux.... well sharx.... i get carded for just about anything but they give you the super duper senior discount card and they dont even card ya... must say pretty impressive!
Come on, respect your elders.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:45 AM
sharx ram
Champion

I actually got carded a couple of weeks ago, she looks at my ID and then tels me "Ok, I thought you were oler than that"... My response was " what the hell did you card me for then, my phone numbers not on there" hehehe it got my point across

Quick Reply: Pro Comp tire update...