Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Leveling kit install.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:18 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling kit install.

I know this was talked about in another thread but I can't find it. There was a talk about the axle shifting over with just using spring spacers only. I installed the Tough Country 2" spacers today and was surprised at how easy it was once I had the right tools.
Took about 1 1/2 hours total and only things I had to disconnect were the track bar and sway bar links. The purpose of this thread though is about the axle shift issue.
Many people have said that it didn't shift on them when the used the 2" leveling kit. So I wanted to know for sure. I measured the wheels from the edge of the fender while sitting level and not jacked up. Then I measure once all was done and I came back from a test drive after the install.
Mine definately did shift about 1/2 inch towards the driver side. I don't notice it because my tires don't stick out past the fender flares but it is there.
I also had a tough time lining the treck bar back up. I had to call a neighbor over and have hime turn the steering all the way and then force it to shift the axle to line up with the track bar. Maybe I did the install wrong and the steering trick is what offset the axle?? I don't know.

Just thought I would share this with you as I know folks have had questions about it. Sorry I didn't get any pictures of the install, it was raining and I was in a hurry thinking it was going to take all night. Been working the last 9 days straight and I'm pretty wore out and didn't want to be working till midnight on the truck..........[:@]

Old 12-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Aero Ram
All Star
Default RE: Leveling kit install.

Sounds like a tough day, better go sit in your new bar buddy

Old 12-02-2007, 09:33 PM
savage.basher

The axle will definitely shift. I f people think that it dosen't it is cause they aren't looking close enough. There is no way around the axle shift, except a new track bar or bracket, but the shift you get with only a 2" level is nothing to be worried about. You did everything right, not a problem.

Glad to hear it went so smooth for you too. I did mine with 2 jacks, one would have been tough, but possible.... makes you wish you owned a lift .

Old 12-02-2007, 09:41 PM
MAB_CTD_4X4
Professional

If you run stock wheels you don't notice the axle shift that much but if you have wider wheels yau can really see the difference from side to side. My Thuren tracbar will be here Wed....

Old 12-02-2007, 09:43 PM
savage.basher

^^^^$$$$.... but nicely spent .

Old 12-02-2007, 09:49 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

X2... thuren tracbar... at 2" it will shift about 1/2" or so, at 2.5 it's closer to 1"... of course that is with a calibrated eye lol...

Quick Reply: Leveling kit install.