Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

01 Cummins Upgrade to High Output

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 02:02 AM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 01 Cummins Upgrade to High Output

I have a 2001 24 Valve with the automatic so it is the regular output that is 235 hp and 460 lb/ft of torque. Anybody know the difference or what to change to set it to what the 01 High Output would be? (245 hp - 505 lb/ft)

I don't really want to put an aftermarket chip in it and risk overpowering my automatic transmission but after using this pickup for a while I think it could handle the slight increase that the H.O would be.

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2007, 06:40 AM
woligator
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 01 Cummins Upgrade to High Output

the main differance between SO and HO truck is the little upgraded fuel pump and injectors

but the HOVP44 like i got is hindered to further improvment over 500hp like iv been told be sereval guys.... and injectors differ slightly

u can put 50hp injector in and be happy whit it,or maybe a power puck and like happy whit it

Old 12-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

toss in some injectors to take advantage of the higher flow that SO pump pushes, get a programmer or chip box and keep it low. then upgrade the valve body of the tranny and you'll be surprised.

the differences betweent eh SO and HO trucks. . .the SO is able to flow more fuel, the HO flows less but is more agressive with the fueling. the HO actualy uses smaller injectors to raise the pressure quicker, however with the right combination some SO trucks have hit upwards of 600hp easily where as the HO's cannot push much past 500.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Aero Ram
All Star

I know you said you didn't want to chip but,I'd personally go with a light programer or chiplike the puck they mentioned or a quad box and run a 30-60 hp setting, pry help mpg a lil and would be cheaper, yet still not over power your tranny. Programmers and Chips are a good thing to consider, you only have to set it as high as you want most say30 is a safe gain and a noticable one stay at 60 or under and you should be fine. I've haven't heard of any programmers damaging anything at these resonable settings with drivers that aren't hardon their trucks.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:01 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

A programmer or chip on a low setting will give you better results for far less money and hassle.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:17 PM
CutterW
Captain

Another thing is the HO only comes in manual, and the turbo has a rubber hose rather than the metal one.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:39 PM
jakebrake
Champion

It would be a lot cheaper just to get a performance box or programmer then to swap out everything need to make it a true HO engine.

Quick Reply: 01 Cummins Upgrade to High Output