Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

retrieving trouble codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 06:40 PM
62B30
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default retrieving trouble codes

hey all

newbie here, been lurking for a little while and seems to be a very helpful and informational forum especially for DIY.

I have a steady CEL displayed and have had for going on 4 days now. When it first appeared I was attempting to accelerate in highway traffic. Truck fell on its face but managed to maintain 55-6omph until steady acceleration brought me back up to 70mph.After changing out fuel& airfilters engine performance seems to have returned pretty much to normal.Note that this occurred coincidently the day after installing a cord on my block heater. I did use the block heater overnight and started the truck enginebefore unplugging the cord that morning. I really don't think the cord thing has anything to do with it, just an observation.I tryed today the turn on/off 3 times and hold on to retrieve codes with no success. I did notice that after the 3rd on and hold on that the CEL flashes 10 times and then returns to steady on. Anyonehave any suggestions or advice on prognosis of problem and/or retrievel of codes. Also I will stand corrected if this is wrong but it seems that I am going to have to clear the CEL with an external device.

Thanks for any help and I look forward to learning from this forum

075.9 2500
11256 miles

Old 12-08-2007, 07:40 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: retrieving trouble codes

Welcome to DF... I think your truck has a CAN bus interface and will for sure need an external device to reset the CEL. Actron 9190 scanner is supposed to be able to handle the CAN bus and would be your best bet I think. I've been looking at them on ebay and for $240 plus shipping (Artic tool IIRC) you can have your own.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Aero Ram
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: retrieving trouble codes

Welcome to the Forum ...Be careful not to let diesel mods take over all of your life...on second thought its not that bad

Quick Reply: retrieving trouble codes