Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Gear Vendors Drive Shaft Length

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007 | 08:08 PM
supermototourer
|
Default Gear Vendors Drive Shaft Length

I purchased a Gear Vendor unit from someone on the forum. However, I am trying to find out how much most people have shortened their drive shaft after installing a gear vendor unit. I talked to gear vendors and they told me I had to measure everything after I had everything in place. I figured if a couple of people had shortened theirs the same length, then maybe it would be ok for me to do the same.

Thanks,

Eric M.

Old 12-12-2007 | 09:14 AM
Super Dave
Veteran
Default RE: Gear Vendors Drive Shaft Length

Any decent drive shaft manufacturer wille tell you the same thing. Install your components, then call them and tell them what you need. They will tell you how to measure for the correct length onthe new driveshaft. Different companies take measurements from different points.
If they can cut yours down then at least they will know exactly how long it needs to be.
The reason isbecause theywant the truck sitting on its wheels at ride height when you take the measurement. They will then build the correct driveshaft.

Old 12-12-2007 | 01:08 PM
Dallas192
Professional

put everything together and then measure from the GV lip seal "output seal"to the pinion flange/ center of the pinion. Thats the measurement they are usually looking for...keep us posted for your likes and dislikes of the GV overdrive, I have been curious about it myself.......Dallas

Old 12-12-2007 | 01:19 PM
Drew
Professional

I wish I had the cheeze to get one. . .guess the best thing I can do is to strap on some 35's to bring my gearing down to around a stock 3.73 on 31's.

Old 12-13-2007 | 01:07 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

Try to contact some local machine shop in your area supermototourer. I know of one in mine that cuts a lot of driveshafts for race cars and stuff and do them up right. Maybe ask around at local parts stores some of the older guyswhere a good machine shop would be to have one cut down. You need one that does a lot of them and has a good reputation becuase it has to be balancedand you want it done right.They'll tell you how to measure it if you're still unsure.

Guys save up your coins and get one it's awesome!!

Quick Reply: Gear Vendors Drive Shaft Length