Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

cummins weight

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007 | 06:25 AM
Bigriver
Default RE: cummins weight

ORIGINAL: bloyet03

you want to get technical on them RVs? most of the RVs on the road should have a class c or so license. class D license is only good to 16000. besides recreational vehicle are exempt from having to have a CDL. at least in the state of illinois. if you want to argue that one i can post the site that has the cdl handbook on it as i got that straight out of the handbook. it does have have to be for personal use though.
Does a US Coast Guard License count? I have a 1st Class Pilot's Unlimited Tonnage and also a Masters of Rivers Unlimited Tonnage! Ya think a State Trooper would look at me strangely if I handed him that if pulled over?

Old 12-14-2007 | 09:06 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

I have a military truck CDL.. We pull lots of huge loads and long trailers in missile country, I alos have a crane ceritifcation.. The crane is one of my favorite "toys"

Old 12-16-2007 | 09:33 PM
nucdtowner

Just wanted to stop in and send a pic.
Stock 07/5.9 auto, pulled trailer grossing close to 40k(48K if including truck)couple of weeks ago.
Dont want to do that again.......................

[IMG]local://upfiles/59957/AC006861A66241CC9183D5F2355B70A8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/59957/EBE1A59E5F10445399F5C6F8BCC1479C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-17-2007 | 08:10 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

you want to get technical on them RVs? most of the RVs on the road should have a class c or so license. class D license is only good to 16000. besides recreational vehicle are exempt from having to have a CDL. at least in the state of illinois. if you want to argue that one i can post the site that has the cdl handbook on it as i got that straight out of the handbook. it does have have to be for personal use though.
RV's do not require a CDL in TN either. Recreational trailers do not require an additional plate either.

We did have an interesting situation come up last year. A Barney Phiffe wanna be state troop pulled over 2 of our guys for not having the correct plates on their trucks. They had regular plates which are only good to 16k. If your gross weight is over that, you are supposed to have what is called J4 plates which are good to 26k.

The guys that own the 2 trailers went to court and pleaded not guilty becuase they were considered RV's. They have sleeping quaters, bathrooms, kitchens, etc just a place in the back to haul horses. Well in TN you do not have to pay sales tax on anything that is considered agricultural use for livestock. We don't pay sales tax on these trailers since they haul horses and live stock. The judge asked them if they paid sales tax on the trailers. they replied "no". He then said that they are not RV's if they are considered agricultural. He said they can't be both.

But here is where the story gets interesting. The judge threw out the case because the trooper that pulled them over and wrote the ticket was not certified to use scales and issue weight citations. In fact, he did not weigh the vehicles at all. He just assumed that since they were so big, they were overweight. The judge told the trooper that he didn't want to see him in his court again with ANY weight issued citations until he was certified to use scales and actually used them before issuing a citation.

Quick Reply: cummins weight