Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

sub install

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 09:21 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: sub install

Finished the install. The line out converter made a problem. When I would turn the radio all the way down the sub would still be going and there was no volume control on the sub so I took care of that with a electronic crossover I had laying around, now I can manually adjust the sub volume and when I have the kids in Diablo can turn it completely off. I am going to upgrade the amp, crossover, door speakers and add a amp for the door speakers. I am conteplating a new deck but I have u-connect and steering wheel controls so I am kind of in love with my current deck. but time will tell. I am sure a dvd player in there would change my mind.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:34 PM
roadking096
Professional

I think crutchfield has an adaptor so you can use your s/w controls on an aftermatket head unit.
http://www.crutchfield.com/app/produ...egory.aspx?c=3

Old 12-16-2007, 01:29 AM
Ben D.
Champion

nick. that's why he's using a line out converter. it takes the high level signal from your speakers and converts it into the low level input that the amp wants to see. Honestly it's not a good idea. I mean yea it works but the cleaner the signal you gett to the amp the better it is going to sound. if you take signal from teh factory radio and plug it into the amp ur SQ is not gonna be too great. best bets are to get a better deck.

jimmy lots of aftermarket decks will still work with teh steering wheel controls it just takes an adapter and you have to program it. not to terribly hard to do and it's worth it IMO. doesn't make sense taht your sub wouldn't turn down as the volume went down that's very odd. because it should. as the actuall voltage that the amp gets put in through the line out and into the RCA's decreases the amp will decrease power output. so that leads me to believe that there is something wrong with your line out converter. I'm not sure how you're using a crossover to turn down the volume of the sub because crossovers are really meant to block out certain frequencies from a speaker. like for your sub you'd want it to be set at around 65-80 hz on Low pass. that way basically any frequency above 65-80 will be played at a lower db level the farther away it gets from that 65-80 hz range. that way the actual sub doesn't become damaged from playing frequencies outside of it's safe range of operation. my guess you're just blocking all frequencies thus just not letting it play anything. but look into something being wrong with taht line out converter because it should turn down as the volume goes down. we had that happen once where I work. the sub volume just kept going nuts up down up down up down up down up down ended up line converter was a bum one from the factory.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:18 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: Ben D.

nick. that's why he's using a line out converter. it takes the high level signal from your speakers and converts it into the low level input that the amp wants to see. Honestly it's not a good idea. I mean yea it works but the cleaner the signal you gett to the amp the better it is going to sound. if you take signal from teh factory radio and plug it into the amp ur SQ is not gonna be too great. best bets are to get a better deck.

jimmy lots of aftermarket decks will still work with teh steering wheel controls it just takes an adapter and you have to program it. not to terribly hard to do and it's worth it IMO. doesn't make sense taht your sub wouldn't turn down as the volume went down that's very odd. because it should. as the actuall voltage that the amp gets put in through the line out and into the RCA's decreases the amp will decrease power output. so that leads me to believe that there is something wrong with your line out converter. I'm not sure how you're using a crossover to turn down the volume of the sub because crossovers are really meant to block out certain frequencies from a speaker. like for your sub you'd want it to be set at around 65-80 hz on Low pass. that way basically any frequency above 65-80 will be played at a lower db level the farther away it gets from that 65-80 hz range. that way the actual sub doesn't become damaged from playing frequencies outside of it's safe range of operation. my guess you're just blocking all frequencies thus just not letting it play anything. but look into something being wrong with taht line out converter because it should turn down as the volume goes down. we had that happen once where I work. the sub volume just kept going nuts up down up down up down up down up down ended up line converter was a bum one from the factory.
My crossover (same one I put in Sharx Ram) actually has a output lever control for the highs and the sub as well as the crossover points. so for now this will work, I am still hard to give up my u-connect. that is a nice feature.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Ben D.
Champion

dang that thing is nice, that's more like an equalizer than a crossover. never seen one like that it's definately a trick piece though

Old 12-17-2007, 12:51 AM
73Jim
Veteran

If you have the Infinity radio you have to tap into the wires to the front speakers (LF- dark green/light bue stripe LF+ dark green/yellow stripe, RF- gray/light blue stripe RF- gray/yellow stripe). If you tap into the output if the radio before the amp you will see a constant volume because the output of the radiois constant. The radio and amp communicate on the CAN bus to control volume. I'm doing the same and have done quite a bit of research. Good luck!

Old 12-17-2007, 04:50 AM
joepascoe19
Rookie

u can still have ur cell phone hooked to ur raido if u buy the right one i kno mine does i like it dont relly use it that much tho

Quick Reply: sub install