Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fluidampr installed - now no RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 02:00 AM
avshi750
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluidampr installed - now no RPMs

so the new Fluidampr went on and the engine sounds a lot smoother.

of course i can never do an install w/o a good electronic foul up. when i crank the engine over everything sounds fine but the needle for the RPMs just sits there. i did install the magnetic pickup relocation bracket and gapped it to 0.051 inches. besides the obvious question of did i get the wiring correct - is there anything else that i could have done to cause this problem before i go cutting wires?

btw this install is being done at the tail end of a dowel pin killing, so i've had the front cover off etc.

second question is - what do the 12v cummins use the RPM signal for? is it just the for the tachometer? can i drive the truck w/o a functioning tach?

Old 12-15-2007, 10:39 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: Fluidampr installed - now no RPMs

Hey Avshi... it's been a while! hope everything else (besides the lack of a tach) is going well...

the gap you mentioned... is it coming off a tone ring? it might be gapped too far out to generate a signal for the tach. I"m not sure if the wiring would make a difference on the pickup as it should be a hall affect sensor...

Old 12-15-2007, 02:45 PM
avshi750

everything is good steve. truck is rockin' with the new mods, spent some time in the Ukiah mountains seeing what the truck can do. any winter time trail days?

i'll check the gap, hope its that simple.
thanks

Old 12-15-2007, 03:33 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

none planned but I'm always up for a trip. Going hiking tomorrow, not sure where yet but am looking forward to it. KerstenP (you met him... red truck with the H2 wheels) and I have talked about hitting some trails that are in this trail book that he has but we just dont know when yet. If your interested PM me your current email & phone number and we'll let you know when.

let me know how the gap thing turns out. I know on the abs sensors if the gap is to wide you'll loose your signal. do you have a spec for it?

Old 12-15-2007, 09:38 PM
jakebrake
Champion

12v shouldn't need a tach to run. Can you get to the sensor plug while the engine is running?. If so unplug it and with a volt meter set to a/c volts measure across the sensor. If you get voltage the pronlem is in the wiring. If no voltage ty pushing the sensor closer to the tone ring. If that doesn't do it. Measure across the senosor with the truck off and see how many ohms are across the sensor.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:28 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only thing the crank sensor is for on a 12 valve is to let the driver know how fast the engine is spinning. the timeing and fueling of that engine is 100% mechanical. . .remove the fuel shutoff solenoid and then remove all power from the engine and it will still run. the 24valves and HPCR's arent so lucky

Old 12-16-2007, 11:59 PM
avshi750

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

...let me know how the gap thing turns out. I know on the abs sensors if the gap is to wide you'll loose your signal. do you have a spec for it?
was up by you for the weekend, no chance to work on the truck. PM coming with my current info.

i do have the gap spec from the TST kit --> 0.049 - 0.051. for what everyone here and on the cummins forum says, sounds like they have too wide of a gap in their install directions.

ORIGINAL: jakebrake

...Can you get to the sensor plug while the engine is running?. If so unplug it and with a volt meter set to a/c volts measure across the sensor. If you get voltage the pronlem is in the wiring. If no voltage ty pushing the sensor closer to the tone ring. If that doesn't do it. Measure across the senosor with the truck off and see how many ohms are across the sensor.
i'll get the multimeter out... i can get to the plug quite easy so i can try to diagnose it. i'll give a closer gap a try before i go playing around near those propellers mounted on the engine.

thanks a mill' guys. one of the members on the cummins forum said he used a piece of paper to gap his 12v so i know i'm way off.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:08 PM
avshi750

all fixed and so darn relieved! turned out that the ground was wired to the wrong wire on the magnetic pickup.

thanks you guys rock the block!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Jet Tumlinson

Having issues with my tach on the 2000 cummins. I just replaced the injector pump and installed an air dog raptor lift pump. What a difference in proformance. The tach was acting up before that. I have been unable to find any info on where the pick up sensor is located any help would be great. I'm pushing 400000 miles and have never been into the motor.

Quick Reply: Fluidampr installed - now no RPMs