Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Black Smoke Not Good ???????

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 02:59 PM
bwrong
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Smoke Not Good ???????

Is black smoke bad for your engine?

Be aware, before you buy, get the facts. During recent comparisons while our team was doing their research and development, we discovered some interesting facts.

The top three marketed diesel product manufacturers tell you in their installation instructions that if you are going to actually use your truck to tow or haul, you will have to turn your new 100+ HP unit down to somewhere between 45-60 HP. It doesn’t stop there.
Some of these manufacturers go a step further. They also limit your towing capacity more than ½ of your trucks factory approved rating and also base this new lower tow rating on flat level ground. Increased power doesn’t do you much good, if you can’t use it when you choose to.
Using Dr. Performance...
By enhancing what you already have, a shot of fuel is sprayed at a higher pressure, which now sprays deeper into the cylinder and atomizes further, creating a finer mixture of fuel and air particles. Allowing it to ignite faster at a lower temperature and creating a more even burn. Which in turn drives the piston to the bottom of the cylinder and you have used up all of the fuel that was delivered into that cylinder.

Your exhaust valve opens up as your piston goes to the top of the cylinder. Since almost all of the fuel has been completely burned, the gases are cooling down going out the exhaust valve, with very little smoke. Then the intake valve opens and cool air comes in to start the process over. By efficiently using the compacted air the turbo is providing, spool up time is cut in half. The unloading of the injectors happens within a millisecond.
Not using Dr. Performance...
At the time of fuel delivery a large quantity of fuel (commonly known as OVER FUELING) is brought into the cylinder. An explosion takes place driving the piston down, to the bottom of the cylinder. Keep in mind inside a cylinder there is only so much volume. If you over fill this void with fuel, it leaves very little room for the appropriate amount of condensed air that your turbo is working so hard to produce. When the exhaust valve opens up, the unburned fuel re-ignites. Remember it was starved for air, but now with the exhaust valve open it has a source, a very poor source, but a source. Now you have fuel burning on the cylinder walls, on the top of the piston and you are pushing flame out of your exhaust pipe to the turbo.
The result of that is a lot of black smoke, your cylinder wall and your piston is very hot because you've burned fuel on the surface of them. This will score a cylinder wall, melt a piston and over all shorten the life of the motor. This item produces very little smoke compared to the other competitors on the market and therefore also has extremely low EGT's. (Exhaust Gas Temperature)
Since all of the air the turbo is providing is not being used as efficiently as intended the turbo spool up time is slower than stock and also occasionally creates back pressure, which in turn can blow off intercooler tubes. Not to mention that no engine manufacture has ever intended their motor to breathe on the intake and the exhaust stroke. That would be similar to breathing out your ….well you get the picture.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker
Default RE: Black Smoke Not Good ???????

why would you have a lower towing capacity when you are pushing another 45-60 at the wheels? and why would you not be able to use the full 100+ whp available, instead of using a lower setting?

Old 12-20-2007, 09:10 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Sounds like a sales pitch to me.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:13 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

That is what i was thinking.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:13 PM
G0tMudd
Veteran

is this where u ask for my c-card number?

Old 12-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

now that I finaly had time to sit down and look this thread over. . .I hate to say it but this is a sales pitch just as Bob mentioned.

this thread is locked.

there are rules that need to be followed. . .this is a violation of one of them. . .

you can say you have something for sale here. . .but it needs to be posted in the for sale section.

Quick Reply: Black Smoke Not Good ???????