Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Leaking hub seals

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 03:00 AM
rumble girl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking hub seals

I have a 2000 Ram 2500 diesel that can't seem to keep my rear oil off the brakes. Had to replace one hub seal at 37k, and it's in the shop again at 80k for both sides. Who knows how long this has been going on? Now I know why the fronts go sooner than they should.

My question: is this a recurring problem on anyone elses truck? Does Dodge have a problem that they won't admit to? I'd be surprised if they stand behind fixing the one they repaired already, but it seems to me these things should last a lot longer than they do on my truck. Your quick replies would be appreciated, because I'll be dealing with those Dodge boys tomorrow. Thanks.

Old 11-30-2004, 06:53 AM
Ramtuff
Veteran
Default RE: Leaking hub seals

Hmmm, can't say I've heard any problems with the rear seals failing constantly. I'd have them replace the bearings too. If they're bad, it'll allow some play in the axles that could prematurely wear out the seals.

If that's the case, the axles themselves could be worn down a bit and cause this to happen again, because there will still be a bit of play even with new bearings. If there's visible excessive wear on the shafts where the axle shafts ride on the bearings, have them install what's called a repair bearing. The repair bearing will ride on a different part of the shaft where it's not damaged.

Old 11-30-2004, 12:10 PM
Snafu

It's either a Dana 60 or 70 rear, which are both full floaters. The seal is is pressed in the hub and rides on a spindle. I think I've got one starting to leak right now at 80k. It's a relatively easy one to do yourself. Haven't heard of it being a common problem. I've had Dana and Corporate full floaters for years and have never had problems. Maybe they're just using cheap seals. Definately check the play in the bearings. Maybe the shop isn't properly preloading them and it's causing the seals to wear prematurely.

Old 11-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Kawazar

I just purchased a 02 2500 with 37000 and it is in the shop now having the right seal replaced.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:32 PM
rumble girl

Thanks for all your help. Still would like to hear from more Ram owners, but at least I got some great tips on what to look out for.

Quick Reply: Leaking hub seals