Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

smarty test question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 02:35 AM
mytowrig
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smarty test question

i recently got a smarty but decided not to run it on my truck untill i put a few more miles on her (currently just over 800 so far, haha). in the meantime, however, i am letting a co-worker play with it and try it out. he has an 06 qc auto with 38" nitto grapplers. i posted a pic before, but just for fun i'll post it again anyways, he has a superchips programmer and runs it on the 130hp setting (the only other setting is 90). He tried it (the smarty) on the 60hp setting first, and said it was quick, but not like his superchip, obviously, comparing 130 to 60. then he tried the 90hp setting and said it was pretty comparible to the 130 SC setting, untill it got into the higher speeds (by the way, how do you remove the speed limiter with the smarty? i was under the impression you could but he maxed out at 107). finally, my question: how long can he *reasonably* put the smarty on level 9? curiosity has gotten the best of him and wants to feel what its like and see if it would be worth it to get his own smarty along with a transmission upgrade. it it absolutely stupid to try it once or twice for a couple minutes? he's got a good head on his shoulders so he's not gonna run into this blindly, and so far he doesnt have gauges because he doesnt want to drill for sensors. alright, i'm done with my ramblings for now...
Name:  IMG_0032a.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  42.9 KB

Old 12-23-2007, 05:19 AM
dieselholik
Default RE: smarty test question

He will be fine just tell him not to do any four wheel burn outs or tow anything outrageously heavy with it till he gets the trannyupgrades I've put mine on #9 when I first got it and cruised around town he should be fine

Old 12-23-2007, 09:09 AM
triton
Record Breaker

yeah, driving on #9 is ok as long as you control your foot. It wouldn't even take boosted launches for it to slip though. Just flooring it will cause the trans to slip. Do that too many times ( and it doesn't take much ) and a new TQ will be needed real soon.

You program the speed limiter before a program is loaded. Plug smarty in and as you set up to load a program, it's option #1 to adjust the limiter and #2 to load a smart software. Do the limiter first.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:04 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

I put mine on level #9 the other day because I just had to see what it was like. I never floored it but did get into the fuel a couple of times. I could definatly tell the tranny was slipping. I have aslo run on #7 and can feel it slipping. #5 will slip also if you launch it.
I can say this, no way could I run #7 or #9 right now with the stock tranny. It shifts funny and you can be cruising along at a steady speed going through the gears and every time it changes gears, you have to ease off the fuel because it will take off on you. It's a weird feeling for sure.
I could never go without the Smarty now. I changed it back to stock yesterday just to feel the difference in power and man was it ever SLOW and nonresponsive.
I am now back on my prefered setting #3

Old 12-23-2007, 10:21 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

just cant compare a superchips to a smarty

i run mine on 9 with the edge on 5 sometimes and its all good...insept for right now my truck is sittiing in about 4 ft of snow and its cold as **** out side with a huge fuel leak! haha sooo..noo driving for me right at the moment!

Old 12-23-2007, 03:15 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

your friend has a might fine looking truck... how much lift does he have?

Old 12-23-2007, 03:52 PM
mytowrig
Captain

he has 6" superlift, but had to add 3" of body lift to clear his 38" nittos. in that pic the tires are only showing about 36" because he keeps them about 20lbs or so low because of all the rough roads we run out here.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:27 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

yea that is one bad *** truck.....

Quick Reply: smarty test question