Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

double d's (tranny pan)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:13 PM
mytowrig
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default double d's (tranny pan)

hey guys, anybody here use or have seen anybody using the DD (double depth) mag-hytec tranny pan? the extra capcity and the construction are supposed to keep tranny temps a lot cooler and it has a built in port for a temp probe, so no drilling![sm=smiley20.gif] my question is, how much lower will it drop and how much clearance will i lose? or is it still tucked up enough that it won't be an issue? and i'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but if i ever decide to upgrade the tranny, it would fit on an aftermarket one, right? being that the aftermarket still has similar fit tolerances...

Old 12-27-2007, 06:44 PM
sharx ram
Champion
Default RE: double d's (tranny pan)

I run one and it is great, it dropped my tranny temps quite abit. You wont even notice any clearance loss, but you will deffinately see lower temps

Old 12-27-2007, 06:49 PM
mytowrig
Captain

so its worth the 250+ then?

Old 12-27-2007, 07:47 PM
73Jim
Veteran

I've got one and it does drop temperature some. My transmission sending unit is on the output of the transmission, before the cooler, and I see about 10 degree drop. On a 90 degree summer day with the torque converter unlocked 210-215 before now 190-210. With the converter locked up 160 before 140 now. However the reason I bought one is because I pull my trailer (10500 lbs.) across the sand (desert or beach) at low speeds 240 before 220 now. So if you tow at slower speeds (ie unlocked torque converter) then absolutely worth the dough, if you don't, maybe not.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:59 PM
mytowrig
Captain

thanks jim. i never know what the future holds, but i know for sure i'll be towing a jeep around. i just know that in tx during the summer where i am, its not uncommon to have days on end with over 100 degrees ambient. i just also hate drilling into new parts, even if its a simple one. i just dont want unneccessary leaks. thats just me though and how i am....

Old 12-27-2007, 08:10 PM
73Jim
Veteran

I feel your pain, I live in Southern California, east of San Diego. Technically, part of the desert. But hey, it’s a dry heat!

Quick Reply: double d's (tranny pan)