Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Bio-Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 07:14 PM
6SCattleCo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bio-Diesel

I have a 2002 & 2003 ram 3500's we use on the ranch. I am looking into using bio-diesel. I have heard that I can & that I cant run bio-diesle in these trucks without some type of conversion kit for the vp-44. I believe the 2003 does not have a vp-44 and I heard I can run it in this.; Is there anywhere that I can get the facts..??????? Dodge dealer is no help!

Thanks for any input!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:49 PM
herring_jerritt
Veteran
Default RE: Bio-Diesel

i know that for 07 and 08, the trucks that can take biodiesel they have a biodiesel badge on the tailgate like the thrucks that take flex fuel

Old 12-30-2007, 07:51 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want to run bio-diesel you should get a fuel lubricant...problem with bio-diesel is the lubricity of it isnt as good as regular diesel so over time it wears out the pump(vp-44 had quite a few issues with this lol)...use a bottle of a fuel lubricant with every tank and you should be good to go...might wanna ask this over in the diesel section as well

Old 12-30-2007, 10:54 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

Hey Cattle drop down to the CTD section...we've got folks running everything from Waste Vegie Oil to B99 in these trucks.

I would have to do some looking but I wanna say you should be able to run any grade of Bio w/ no problem since your in Texas. Wanna say for the 02 / 03 Cummin has ok'd up to B20 with no warranty questions. Think Dodge is sticking by B5 though. We've got plenty of threads going on about it right now; the exact articles are in one of them threads

Welcome to the DF!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 11:02 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Welcome to the forum. Bio diesel badge on the back I have not yet seen, I will have to pass by the dealer, I think the flex fuel is for e85 and gas vehicles, not diesel. Bio diesel has a higher lubricating level as it has a content of vegetable oil and is actually better, the one thing to keep in mind if you switch is to have about 3-5 fuel filters with you as the bio diesel will pass and clean all the crud in your tank and lines and cause clogged filters until cleaned. I personally run Waste vegetable oil mixed with diesel right now and am going to run straight waste vegetable oil once our temps get over 100 degrees f.
as Frogger said drop by the Ctd section and you will find a lot of great info and fun chat. Any hemi or 4.7 questions are best left in 3rd gen.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:57 AM
dieseldoc1
Professional

bio diesel has less energy per gallon than reg diesel therefore milage should suffer and cummins does not approve more than 10% bio in a mixture and can void warranty. remember there is no goverment standard for purity on bio diesel so it's up to the maker on how pure and clean it is. i'v seen it clog filters in less than 20 miles!!!!!!! if i had a diesel i would not run it.i've been a heavy truck mech for 30 years so i only tell u what i know. u can make ur own mind up.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:51 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

if you want to run bio-diesel you should get a fuel lubricant...problem with bio-diesel is the lubricity of it isnt as good as regular diesel so over time it wears out the pump
remember there is no goverment standard for purity on bio diesel
You guys obviously don't know anything about bio-diesel.

Bio-diesel has better lubricating properties than regular diesel. I have been running B20 in my truck for 6 months and do not need to use additives any longer. It runs just as good as D2 with additives. Unless you have natural ruber parts in your fuel system, it will not damage your truck. All trucks made 1996 and later have vitron parts instead of rubber. If you tank or fuel system is dirty, it can break loose the deposits in your tank and clog your filters so it is recommended that you keep and extra fuel filter or two when you first run bio. When I first ran bio, I dropped the tank to do some pump work, and the inside of the tank was clean enough to eat off of. I did not have to change any filters. So it really just depends on what condition your tank and fuel lines are in.

There is an ATSM standard for bio diesel. If you get some bio that some guy made in his garage, yes there is no telling what you will get. If you buy it at the pump, make sure it is ATSM certified and your OK.

Quick Reply: Bio-Diesel