Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Espar

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:17 PM
iamheretoday
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Espar

Hello All,

I purchased an 08 Mega Cab Diesel. I had an Espar heater installed, mopar brand, and I am wondering if anyone can tell me how long this should be ran? I currently run it for 40 min but at -10C it barely warms the engine to 60 degrees. I have had no luck with this unit to this point. It is mounted under the cab just behind the tranny. I do not know what is normal. I called another dealer, private shop not a dealer, who said 2 hours is normal. I am worried about battery life but will sacrifice as needs to start at work where no plug ins are not available. Also does anyone know if the vechicle has to be flat or does incline affect it at all? Thank you for your help.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Joel_MD
Captain
Default RE: Espar

You may bethe first person here on the CTD Forum to install an Espar heater. I checked out the website, and these heaters sound like a good idea if you're in a cold climate and can't plug in. Do they burn diesel fuel to make the heat?

When you say "it barely warms the engine to 60 degrees," do you mean 60F or 60C? Even 60F is not a bad starting point, and I imagine it can get a lot colder than 10C in Alberta.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:40 AM
kingdog
Professional

Welcome to the site

Nope you are NOT the first to have an ESPAR on here,,, I had one on my 02 CTD ( I still miss that truck)
I do not want to sound mean here but as they say RTFM ( read the manual) you do not have to worry about it killing your batts, it has a low voltage sensor in it that will shut it down long before you have lost power,,, it will leave you enough power to start the truck,,, I used mine all the time ( Ontario Canada ) and I really miss not having one in my 07 5.9 but I will be getting one.

I would set mine to start about 4 hours before I want to use the truck, the engine was always at operating temp and the inside of the cab was nice and warm and the windows all defrosted.

Again read the manual you do not have to be worried about the ESPAR at all... be sure you use an good anitgel and that is it besides making sure that you let it shut off totaly before starting your truck and the voltage drian will cause and ( here we go Mayfair ) pre matutre flame out and this carbons up the spark igniter thing and that will cause it to NOT start up.

Ralph

Old 01-03-2008, 06:07 PM
iamheretoday

Hello Ralph,

Thanks for the reply. I would read the manual but they do not supply one with the Mopar brand. At least I did not get one when it was installed. This was the first one the dealer installed and if you did not buy it there no one else wants to give information to you. If I do not have to worry about it killing the batteries then I good to go. Thanks again for the information.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:38 AM
kingdog
Professional

Well that sucks ,, no manual,,, how are you even figuring out to turn it on LOL ??
go to www.espar.com and look for the one for the dodge ram,, ,detailed instructions are there.

good luck with it and you will NOT regret getting it

Ralph

Quick Reply: Espar