Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Wax On.......Wax Off

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:38 PM
04QC4X4
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wax On.......Wax Off

That's funny!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Ben D.
Champion

Zaino, it's not technically a wax it's a synthetic sealant. It creates a shine ten times better than any regular wax and it also lasts longer. a normal coat of wax will last maybe a month or two. a good coat of zaino or any other sealant will last six months or more.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:20 PM
sddunn2
Professional

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm milfs

Old 01-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

I use ICE, but I like milfs as well Both of which look very nice here in Florida

Old 01-04-2008, 01:50 AM
mytowrig
Captain

x10 on the zaino... takes a full day for all the steps, but awesome finish when done. and you only have to do it about 2x a year...

Old 01-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

You need to decide whether you want to spend minimal time detailing your truck with so-so results, or do you want to put in some hours and make it look its best. If your answer is minimal time, go with a one-step product like the Turtle Wax products some of the guys suggest. You'll save money also; anything made by Turtle Wax is probably less than ten bucks and available at any Wal Mart or auto parts store.

If you are bitten by the detailing bug and want to spend the hours and dollars to make it look its best, here is what I suggest:

Lurk around at the Autopia online forums; you'll be surprised at hom much you learn by just reading the postings there. The guys at Autopia are a mixture of detailing professionals and enthusiasts who want to make cars look their best.

There are a million different products that are decent, but there is something special about the Zaino products. Their Z-5 Pro sealant is awesome, and you can layer it (unlike most waxes and sealants). You can top it with Z-2 Pro or a wax like Pinnacle Souveran, Collinite, or P21S carnauba.

Z-5 and Z-2 do not have the ability to remove swirls, marring, or stains. You need a polish for that, and the Menzerna products are favored by the Autopia crowd as a preparation for the sealant.

Here is a path that will end in good results:
- wash thoroughly
- clay bar (with soapy water or other lubricant) to remove all grit, bugs, rail dust, etc
- wipedown with isopropyl alcohol or prep-sol to remove old waxes and silicones
- polish with Menzerna Intensive Polish on a foam pad and orbital polisher
- polish with Menzerna Final Polish II on a fresh pad
- mix Zaino Z-5 with ZFX activator and apply by hand with cotton applicator; wipe off with clean microfiber
- wipedown with Zaino Z-6 or Z-8
- repeat with Zaino Z-2 (activated) if desired
- finish with Z-8 wipedown

It will look absolutely awesome with just the Zaino, but some guys like to top with a carnauba wax. The Zaino should last at least six months, possibly as long as a year.

Here are some websites for supplies:
http://www.autogeek.net/
http://www.zainostore.com/
http://www.topoftheline.com/

Be careful, this detailing stuff can be addicting! I spend more time at Autopia than I do at this forum.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:34 AM
stevew
Professional

That sounds like an incredible amount of work for a 4x4 truck thatI like to drive in the mud.
But it was very descriptive and complete.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Ben D.
Champion

yea but u gotta understand that the zaino creates a barrier that will stand up to mud. ordinary wax will not. I agree with joel wit all but one thing. I think zaino saves you money. You can buy a can of turtle paste wax at autozone for mebbe 15 bux. this is enough to do maybe one car twice. mebbe three. the zaino kit that I would use (unless u have leather seats) would be a price of 80 bux and add a few things on it's about 120. I always get z8 finish spray and zaio to get rid of swirls. this is enough to do over 30 applications. and at two applications a year. that would last 15 years.

hey joel how do u like that minerva stuff. I have talked to people with zaino about what they have for a slightly more abrasive polish. because their kits don't have anything that will take out swirls or scratches (other than very light ones). they recommended ZAIO the all in one stuff. got purrty good results on my jeep TJ. They said I could go with something more aggressive but since I don't have a orbital buffer my choices were limited. I do plan on getting one though and then I will have more options when i need to polish. which hopefully won't happen very often I try not to get scratches lol.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I have ZERO desire to put that much time and effort into waxing my truck !! My scoot - yes, my truck no

I tried that Turtle Wax Ice stuff after you guy's mentioned it here and I absolutely HATED it. I used it one time and threw it out. What a waste. i was all set to send it back for a refund as per the label ( if not happy, send back for a full refund ), but I figured I'd spend just as much shipping it back as I was going to get back so I tossed it.

I've always had luck with Meguires stuff. Just regular ole paste wax out of a tin can. I wax my truck about twice a year. Probably not enough, but it beads water all year round and that's good enough for me.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

ORIGINAL: Ben D.

hey joel how do u like that minerva stuff. I have talked to people with zaino about what they have for a slightly more abrasive polish. because their kits don't have anything that will take out swirls or scratches (other than very light ones). they recommended ZAIO the all in one stuff. got purrty good results on my jeep TJ. They said I could go with something more aggressive but since I don't have a orbital buffer my choices were limited. I do plan on getting one though and then I will have more options when i need to polish. which hopefully won't happen very often I try not to get scratches lol.
I'm still a rookie with the Menzerna. I've found that their Final Polish II (or 106FF) is so fine that it really is just for removing the light buffing marks from their more aggresive polishes. Some guys will start with Super Intensive Polish and then go to FPII and get great results. I'm going to try that on my wife's BMW before I try it on the important vehicle!