Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

On The Side of the Road

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:23 PM
ctjstr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On The Side of the Road

I've run into a problem that has me stumped. My 2000 just died with no warning last night. I'm suspecting the injector pump, primarily because the lift pump went bad about 2 months ago and was on the way out for a while before I changed it. I can hear the pump running when the ignition is on, but absolutely will not fire.

Is there some relatively simple check to see if I'm getting fuel through the injection pump? I thought about pulling the cover off the filter container to see if fuel is pumping in when the key is on, but I'm not sure whether that's a smart thing to do.

Thanks for any suggestions. I've searched as best I can before asking, but havn't found an answer.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:27 PM
burban2002
Veteran
Default RE: On The Side of the Road

Loosen up one of the injector lines at the head and crank the engine over-that will tell you if you have fuel that far. Have you checked your fuel filter to see if its clogged? Are you getting fuel at the schrader valve on the injector pump?

Old 01-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Mayfair
Legend

What kinda pump did you replace your stocker with?

Old 01-05-2008, 04:45 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: burban2002

Loosen up one of the injector lines at the head and crank the engine over-that will tell you if you have fuel that far. Have you checked your fuel filter to see if its clogged? Are you getting fuel at the schrader valve on the injector pump?
DO NOT LOOSEN THE HP LINES AND TRY TO CRANK IT!!!

Unless you want fuel coming out at 5000 psi.

If anything crack a line coming FROM the lift pump TO the injection pump. Or drain the filter and check to see if it is filling.

DO NOT crack the HP lines after the injection pump.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:06 PM
ctjstr

Thanks for the suggestions. I havn't checked the filter yet, although it only has about 5,000 miles on it. The lift pump was replaced with basically a stock replacement. With hindsight, probably not the smartest choice.

I think what I'll do first is to check the filter, drain the bowl and see if it fills. I'll also check the schrader valve. (after I find it).

thanks again.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:12 PM
burban2002
Veteran

If he just loosened it a bit I dont think it would be too crazy. When I had to bleed the lines on my truck, one of them was a little loose when the engine was running and the fuel just leaked out some from around the fitting. I could be wrong but thats what happened when I did it.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:20 PM
cookie88
Rookie

it's okay to just crack em the 12 and first 24v, it will do just as burbon2002 did, the fuel on the early ones doesnt get quit that high until the inector tip it's self, still be carefull not totake the line off just crack slightly,it'sthe HPCR you dont want to do that with.

Quick Reply: On The Side of the Road