Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

What do I all need for Ball Joint replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:38 AM
GFB
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What do I all need for Ball Joint replacement?

No pickle fork. Sometimes an air chisel helps getting the hubs knocked free from the spindle. A 12pt metric socket (maybe 12mm, can't remember) for getting the nuts off the back of the bearing/hub. Lube EVERYTHING up (except caliper bracket bolts and caliper bolts) with antisieze when you put it back together, especially the spindle where the ball joints and hub go in. I take it you already ordered a ball joint press. I used a floor jack in the spindle to press the top joint out. The press wouldn't fit with the lower still in. I had to use a torch a couple times help loosen things up (and cut a few things lol). I hope your install goes easier than mine.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:49 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

yeah I would have a torch or something handy. they dont like to come out to easy. I always use a ball joint press. its the easiest by far

Old 01-07-2008, 01:25 PM
tonyslaramie
Professional

The general service tools I have pretty well covered. I have a ball-joint press, but I'm concerned that it's too small, it's the more-popular automotive ball joint service set by OTC. I've heard that there is a bigger ball joint press thats needed for the ball joints on the newer Dodge trucks, but I've yet to find out if this is actually true. Are the wheel-bearings destroyed during dissasembly?

Old 01-07-2008, 01:33 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

no if you dont have a a chisel you can back the mounting bolts out of the back side and then keep the socket on there and hit the socket with a hammer. that will push the bearing assembly out, it tends to freeze up in there.

Quick Reply: What do I all need for Ball Joint replacement?