Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Front Axle U-Joints

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:31 PM
04QC4X4
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Axle U-Joints

My u-joints on the front axle are bad and I'm wondering if it is worth it to have this work done or if I should do it myself. I tried doing the ones on the front driveshaft a couple of months ago and ended up at a driveline shop to get them pressed out. If anyone has done this, did you have problems pressing out the old jonts? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:15 PM
amock
Professional
Default RE: Front Axle U-Joints

04QC4X4

I have had to replace my drivers side axle u joint on my 03. Me and my dad attempted this on our own the first time but let me tell you, it is money well worth spent to have this done. Its actually a terrible design. Those hubs are pressed in the steering knuckle with so much pressure, its almost impossible to get them out. If you do try it, by eight new bolts that hold the hub into the knuckle. The only way to remove that hub is back them bolts out aways, disconnect the tie rods, and hit the hell out of the head of them bolts. Another consideration is, the right side axle shaft is two pieces and ive heard can be tricky. sorry for such a long post but I hope this helps. Andrew

Old 01-09-2008, 07:51 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

Thanks. I'll have it done.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:37 PM
lesimon
Professional

If you would like to see what all is involved check out the DIY files at the top of the forum. Open the repacking front wheel bearing thread, it walks you through the disassembly with pictures. If you have the proper tools it can be done. A bench vise works well for pressing out ujoints.

Quick Reply: Front Axle U-Joints