Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Towing fifth wheel RV with 4WD truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:04 AM
RAMbunkshus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing fifth wheel RV with 4WD truck

Do any of you folks tow 5th wheel campers with a 4wd truck? I recently replaced my 2wd RAM 2500 with a 2004 RAM 2500 4WD CTD. When I moved my hitch from the old to the new truck, I noticed that the hitch sat 7 inches higher than before. Yikes!

I was able to raise the gooseneck on the trailer 2", so that reduced the height difference to 5 inches, but I'm wondering if I should remove the spacers above the rear axle to lose another inch or so of height. My camper sat fairly level when hooked up to the old truck, but I'm afraid she's gonna sit kinda nose-high on the new truck. (No, I haven't had the camper hooked up to the new truck yet, it's winter here in Ohio, and I'll not be camping for a few more months!)

My RV's gross weight is only about 6,000 lbs, and I'm thinking the CTD should tow it like it's not even there!

Old 01-11-2008, 10:35 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned
Default RE: Towing fifth wheel RV with 4WD truck

I am confused on how you measured the hitch. Pictures would help a bunch. I can't see it being 7 inches taller.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 AM
RAMbunkshus
Rookie

Before I removed the hitch from the old truck, I laid a 4ft builder's level on the hitch plate, and, with the level extending out over the side of the truck, and held level, I measured from the bottom of the level to the floor.

The old hitch measured 47 1/2 inches above the floor. Did the same after the hitch was in the new truck.
The new hitch measured 54 1/2 inches above the floor. Difference = 7 inches.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Watermelon
Captain

I think you will be OK after you get it hooked up. It should lower down 4 to 5 inches after you put weight on the hitch. My 04 drops 4to5 after I hook my horse trailer to it.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:57 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

You would be better off adding some spacers to the trailer, than taking them off of your truck. I have seen this happen to a friend of mine. He wound up adding spacers to the trailer.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:05 PM
dasnake
Veteran

try this forum, there is a fiver forum and the people are very helpful.

http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm

Old 01-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Cumminnotstrokin
Professional

I flipped the axles on my 5th, put the axle below the springs

Old 01-11-2008, 10:58 PM
dhbgl1800
Rookie

Raise the 5er so that it tows level. I had to put spacers, 1.25", and set the kingpin and hitch as low as possible and still leave about 6" between the bed top rail and the camper. My camper springs are mounted on top of it's axles. If your camper springs are below the axle you can have a reputable shop weld brackets on top so that you can put the springs on top of the axles for the extra height. DO NOT simply turn the axle upside down as they are made with an arch to get proper camber. I had that done on my previous camper.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:28 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

If all else fails. let me know where I can pick up either your truck or camper and add it to my collection.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:08 PM
lesimon
Professional

When I went from a Dakota to my new truck I had to flip the trailer axles and place springs on top of the axle and I also purchased bigger hangers which raised the trailer hight 4-5 inches. The trailer rides level with the truck with four inches between the bed rail and the fifth wheel. I also had to add and extra step to the fifth wheel door entrance. I really like the extra hieght. I did all the work myself and did not find it difficult. I cant take pictures if it would help you. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Towing fifth wheel RV with 4WD truck