Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

potential wiring problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008 | 11:22 PM
steve05ram360
|
Hall Of Fame
Default potential wiring problems.

found this info on another forum and thought it should be mentioned here. I'm sure some of you also visit there so it maybe a repeat for you...It applies to 3rd gen trucks.

Got a problem of low power, funny shifting tranny, hard/no starting??? have a look at the wiring harness in these area's... I will have a close look at mine on Saturday and post pics if I can get them.

AC HARNESS vs. ALUMINUM AC TUBE
Causes loss of power among a few other issues...
look up at your oil filter, the wiring harness is up there by the ac.

TRANS HARNESS vs. GROUND STRAP
Auto Trans hanging intermittently in 2nd gear - Trace trans harness to where it passes the ground strap... check for short or chafing.

STARTER WIRE vs. STARTER BRACKET
No-start condition - From driver side wheel well - Trace yellow wire from the starter as it passes the starter bracket... check for chafing.

BATTERY CABLE vs. INTAKE HEATER RELAY BRACKET
Check alternator/battery cable (between the battery & air filter box) where the alt/bat cable passes the steel bracket of the heater relay... check for short or chafing.

CROSS OVER BATTERY CABLE vs. AIR BOX PIPE CONNECTION
Check the crossover battery cable where it passes by the pipe and air box connection... check for short or chafing.

Old 01-15-2008 | 11:26 PM
Drew
Professional
Default RE: potential wiring problems.

Ive seen that AC power wire grounding out on the AC tube before. . .it can get nasty.

the others I figured they fixed in the 3rd gens. . .

Old 01-15-2008 | 11:29 PM
12vanthony
Rookie
Default RE: potential wiring problems.

Nice find. Had some trouble in the fall but went away, could be one of these, thanks.

Quick Reply: potential wiring problems.