Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Does the AERO4040XL have to be welded on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:01 PM
sallyman1
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the AERO4040XL have to be welded on?

i just got my aero4040xl in the mail today and my aero 4-5 inch tip(DT4050C). I am putting the aero4040xl where the cat is. Will it fit over the existing 4 " exhaust or will it need to be welded on? I was wanting to slide it over existing exhaust and use 2 pop rivets to hold it together and then slide a 4" step/bandclamp overtop and impact the clamp tight. can i do this or not? seems like the aero is same size as exhaust?

Old 01-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Does the AERO4040XL have to be welded on?

your best bet is going to be welded. . .however some clamps will work, no need to rivet.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:19 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

the rivet might not be such a bad idea if you are going the clamp route! i had my exhaust clamped for a while and one day it just came un-done, then i clamped it again and about a month later it came un-done again and i almost lost my aero to the dude driving behind me. i decided to have mine welded after the close call of losing a 200$ muffler, but rivets would be good to!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:29 PM
sallyman1
Captain

okay. but what i mean is will it slide over stock 4 inch exhaust? or is it the same diameter of the 4 inch exhaust?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

ORIGINAL: sallyman1

okay. but what i mean is will it slide over stock 4 inch exhaust? or is it the same diameter of the 4 inch exhaust?
It will slide right over the 4" pipe and will slide in 3" from each end. I don't know how loose or tight it is as I didn't install it my slf. But when I watched him slide it on, it looked as if it went right on pretty easy.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:59 AM
Mayfair
Legend

However you install it, if I were you I'd mount it where the stock muffler was, not the cat.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:54 AM
TX Well Logger

Mayfair....what are the advantages/disadvantages to installing it where the stock muffler was?

Old 01-18-2008, 09:26 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

ORIGINAL: TX Well Logger

Mayfair....what are the advantages/disadvantages to installing it where the stock muffler was?
Just my 2 cents but I would mount it as far back as you can. Not for sound reasons but just to be close to the hangers. I couple of things I noticed after installing mine is that the long section of pipe comeing from the turbo downpipe back to the Aero that is in the stock muffler location, now vibrates Heavily at idle. It doesn't rattle or anything but you'll be shocked when you crawl under there and see it shaking.
That tells me that all the wieght from the cat and the stock muffler must have prevented the exhaust from vibrating. But now with all that wieght gone, it wants to vibrate it's *** off.
Since the Aero 4040 is so light wieght, I would guess that it will still vibrate like this if installed where the cat is. There are no hangers till you get to the muffler. Maybe it doesn't vibrate like this on all trucks but if the Aero were where my cat was and it vibrated like this, I would definatly feel it inside the cab at idle. And would probably get very annoying after a while.
Hold off on installing it and I will get a video of mine idleing and you'll see what I mean.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:42 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

I have mine all band clamp. any other type of clamp is worthless. 2 years on my clamps and no issues at all.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: TX Well Logger

Well, beased on what I've been hearing from different folks that have mounted it both ways, it seems to me the people who mount the Aero where the cat was seem to be the ones who complain of a drone noise, whereas everyone that has mounted it where the stock muffler was hasn't had the drone sound at all. Aero also reccomends that it be mounted where the sock muffler was.

Not everyone complains of a drone sound, but those who do seem to be the ones who have mounted it where the cat was.

Quick Reply: Does the AERO4040XL have to be welded on?