Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Stock Market .... are you ready to pull out yet ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:49 PM
BTCRUZ
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stock Market .... are you ready to pull out yet ??

Unless you fear your stock to liquidate from the company going bust, I'd sit tight. Recessions and/or decline of economy is normal events. An economy can not continue to get get higher and higher, it has to peak and trough.
Our economy is primarily driven by perception. Unfortunately, it doesn't take much to start the chain reaction of lowered confidence in the economy to get things receding. We'll probably go through a recession over this latest round, but we'll also get over that as we always do. The Fed's 3/4% drop this morning is only a bandaid on what seems to be an inevitable recession. The market didn't drop today as much as predicted (because of the early "emergency" action by the Fed), but give it a few days and see what happens. The foreign markets are already declining because of the dollar. Dropping our interest rates here isn't going to change it much. I'm betting the market is going to see bigger drops by the end of the week.

Still, I would just sit tight and ride it out. In another year or two, you'll riding high again.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:13 PM
burban2002
Veteran

Gold is pretty safe I think. It has gone up a tonfrom about five years ago. I think its around 890 a troy ounce. You want to see something crazy, look at the price of rhodium from 2003 to present. I think it was about 300 an ounce and now its around 7000. Missed that gravy train

Old 01-22-2008, 09:14 PM
woligator
Record Breaker

back 15 years ago gold was 200$ ounce and silver 5$ ounce

copper jumped alot too

metals are a nice market too,they never bakrupt and they always needed but for gold i dont understand much why this metal worth so much,
beside electrical connection jewels arent needed that much.....
platinium have much more use i think and its price is much more up but its rarer too....

Old 01-22-2008, 09:43 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Mayfair, ride it out. If you sell now YOU LOOSE period. The fact is over a ten year period you will be ahead if you stick it out.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:37 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you sell now you lose you a$$. now if you were one of those swami's that could predict the future you could have sold out 3 months ago (high), and bought back in now (low). but you're not, so you just got to ride it out. stocks go up and down like yo-yo's, but you never actually lose or gain until you sell, so just keep putting in money every month and try not to worry about it.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do. I'll write my checks on friday.

Thanks for making me feel a little better about it all. This financial stuff boggles me.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:33 AM
6inarow
Professional

Dont know much about the stock market, I have always had that mindset of If the broker is so good at his job, why is he still working? I have spent all the extra on property, here in the midwest, farm and ranch property will always pay, get an inside track on a local sale and pick up a little at a time, we get folks from the left and right coasts that buy property out here just so they can go hunting! I kid you not there Is group of guys from PA. that bought 500 acres here last year! at about 4 times the local value! I do not know how long it will last but it seems more and more people are looking for their little slice of the boonies.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:46 AM
Mayfair
Legend

I've actually thought about getting involved in real estate lately.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:33 AM
apappal
Amateur

Real estate would be another great investment seeing that it is down so there is money to be made. Remember, right now, yes your portfolio might be down, but its only on paper. You only lose money if you sell now, as you invest more and buy you keep averaging down and when the market turns up you start making money sooner.

Copper and gold are fantastic investments. Another area to watch is oil, if oil prices rise, usually companies that have anything to do with alternative energy go up, like wind,solar and nuclear,and the opposite holds true. If you don't like the price of fuel, don't fight the oil companies, join and become a stock holder and reap some of the rewards.

Remember, buy, buy and buy.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:51 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I actually changed my elections on my 401k yesterday. I had it well diversified (I do 15% of my income). I went 70% aggressive because I am still young and as it drops I am buying more shares when it rises I will own more shares. Personally and don't hate me. I want the dow to drop another 2000 points and stay that way for a year. then go up. I would love to see the earnings then.

Quick Reply: Stock Market .... are you ready to pull out yet ??