Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

fault code

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:47 PM
jonfouts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fault code

I have a 06 diesel 2500 4x4 can anyone tell me what this code is p0456 and will it hurt for me to drv. thanks all

Old 01-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fault code

2003 Dodge Ram 5.7L returns error code P0456 with 49,000 miles on it, anyone have a clue as to whats wrong?

[/align]Question:Truck not beaten, used as daily driver and summer tow vehicle. Tows camper well below max load. Gas mileage appears not to be suffering. P0456 returns as error code from OBD through speedometer. Reads as evaporative leak. and YES I've checked the gas cap.

Answers:
Caps do go bad. Your evap canister is on the lower left frame rail in front of the fuel tank. There are several vacuum lines running to and from this canister. Check these lines for signs of dry rot or cracking and repair if needed. Hope that this helps.

Other Answers:
take off your gas cap and look for rust at the bottom of it, but it could be a cracked or leaking vapor hose,defective purge solenoid,or even the seal around the fuel pump module,just to name a few.But the gas cap is probably the most common,and it is obviously the easiest to repair. [/align][/align]

Old 01-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: fault code

P0456-EVAP LEAK MONITOR SMALL (.020) LEAK DETECTED
When Monitored: Immediately after a cold start, with battery/ambient temperature
between 40° F and 90° F and coolant temperature within 10° F of battery/ambient.
Set Condition: There is a leak larger than 0.0209 and smaller than 0.0409 in the
evaporative system.

Check all vacuum lines under the hood and undel the cab. Check gas cap also....

Quick Reply: fault code