Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New 19.5" 4000# wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Bigriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 19.5" 4000# wheels

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ORIGINAL: Bigriver
I'll never re-coup the bucks going into this, but I can't take it with me either.

Please keep this in mind when it come time to sell. I've already printed it out and stored it in my desk drawer.

AAHHHHHHHHH............... but then again, maybe I can take it with me???????

Yeah, it'll be one of those super duper coffins! There ya go, I WILL take it with me!!!!!

Old 01-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Mayfair
Legend

AAHHHHHHHHH............... but then again, maybe I can take it with me???????

Yeah, it'll be one of those super duper coffins! There ya go, I WILL take it with me!!!!!

Don't make me send out the Fox Force Five to help speed up the process !!

Old 01-26-2008, 02:47 AM
tonyslaramie
Professional

Rickson for me, they're the only ones making the SRW stuff besides Vision... and I'm not a big fan of the China built Cast wheels.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Bigriver

ORIGINAL: tonyslaramie

Rickson for me, they're the only ones making the SRW stuff besides Vision... and I'm not a big fan of the China built Cast wheels.
I've spoken to Rickson first and found that at the time they were only offering Weld's Racing rims. In the past they were offering Alcoa's, and may still do so at this time. I looked into Alcoa's, but they require an adaptor to fit our hubs. As with Weld's, they are a direct bolt on.

In this day and age where everything is made in China, I wouldn't be surprised to see that with these rims mentioned, but I beleive that they're machined made from stock here in the US.

As with Rickson, they offered the Weld's with a substancial markup, and also what I think is their specialty trademark balancing portion of the package. It was described to me if I remember correctly as being that each tire and rim is mated together by means of painstakening measuring the out of round "high's and low's". Also a product is added into the inside of the tire for helping the balancing of the set. That comes at a price of about $100.00 per tire, (7 tires in my case).

Needless to say the sticker shock hit me between the eyes, and about that time I came across Rons Rims. His e-bay price was substancially less and after speaking with local tire shops, I want to think that a decent balancing job can be acomplished here.

I want to also mention that this becomes a personal taste issue. Some folks like the semi's look of Alcoa's, and I respect their choice. To each their own. I personally like the custom look of the Weld's and look forward to seeing how they affect the overall look of my ride.

As for if the truck should ever just vanish, I wouldn't be surprised to see these calling cards left behind!

Old 01-28-2008, 07:38 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It would be interesting if someone would compare coasting down their local steep hill
first with the regular wheels & tires
and then with 19.5's

If you truck coasts up to a higher top speed with the 19.5's
then those wheels with tires roll easier.

If have flat pavement and you wish to be more scientific
you can even use a Java application like this:

http://web.archive.org/web/200408030...DownCalcs.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/3aompw

Old 01-28-2008, 08:45 AM
BTCRUZ
Professional

There's a local guywith a 3500 Ram with what appears to be full sized semi wheels (those are what 22"???). Gawd it looks stupid. I think the 19.5's will look good though.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Mayfair
Legend

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 01-28-2008, 01:47 PM
tonyslaramie
Professional

ORIGINAL: tonyslaramie

I've spoken to Rickson first and found that at the time they were only offering Weld's Racing rims. In the past they were offering Alcoa's, and may still do so at this time. I looked into Alcoa's, but they require an adaptor to fit our hubs. As with Weld's, they are a direct bolt on.

In this day and age where everything is made in China, I wouldn't be surprised to see that with these rims mentioned, but I beleive that they're machined made from stock here in the US.

As with Rickson, they offered the Weld's with a substancial markup, and also what I think is their specialty trademark balancing portion of the package. It was described to me if I remember correctly as being that each tire and rim is mated together by means of painstakening measuring the out of round "high's and low's". Also a product is added into the inside of the tire for helping the balancing of the set. That comes at a price of about $100.00 per tire, (7 tires in my case).

Needless to say the sticker shock hit me between the eyes, and about that time I came across Rons Rims. His e-bay price was substancially less and after speaking with local tire shops, I want to think that a decent balancing job can be acomplished here.

I want to also mention that this becomes a personal taste issue. Some folks like the semi's look of Alcoa's, and I respect their choice. To each their own. I personally like the custom look of the Weld's and look forward to seeing how they affect the overall look of my ride.

As for if the truck should ever just vanish, I wouldn't be surprised to see these calling cards left behind!

I agree... I wouldn't mind just getting the wheels from Rickson. The balancing scheme they speak of is a time consuming job, I agree... roadforce balancing and mounting and dismounting the tires until they're mated correctly by weight is a great idea in theory, but my question is what good does a roadforce balance do if the tire changes dynamically oncethey're heated up??? Roadforce balancing technology is great, but all the tire balancer mfr's state in the instruction manual of their equipment that in order to get the most out of your roadforce balance... the tire must be hot off the road.

So, to make a long story not as long... I really don't car about buying the tires, or the balance from Rickson, I just want the wheels in the correct offset, and his stainless rings. I'll get the tires installed here, put 1,000 miles on them and get them balanced again within 5 grams. If anyone knows of any other SRW 19.5 supplier, I'd love to know...

Quick Reply: New 19.5" 4000# wheels