Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

wiring and relay?s/ for sirius and guages

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:31 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring and relay?s/ for sirius and guages

I am going to be hard wiring the power for my plug and play sirius reciever into my truck soon. It's a 5v model so I have the adaptor ordered. I also have a new audio cable and and extension for the stock sirius antenna coming. (I'll take pics when I do it) I want to run all the cables out of the storage hole just under the radio so I don't have a million cables running all over the dash.
I also plan to install ISSPRO or Autometer guages this summer (maybe my "rebate" check from the govt.). I plan to get Boost, Egt, fuel pressure, and trans temp.
Now my ?s. I want to wire my sirius power and guages to my cig. adaptor because it is turned on and off with the ignition. How many amps do the guages I'm looking at pull? I'm thinking of using a relay that is triggered by the cig. adaptor to power a distribution block. Then I can hook my sirius adaptor and all my guages to the block. Also, does anyone know if there are any "quiet" relays out there? I know some are loud, but I don't hear the ones in my truck. I will probably mount the relay in the cab and run a power lead from the fuse pannel in the engine compartment to the relay.
Or, do I just wire everything into the cig. adaptor if the current draw is in the safe zone?

Any input/suggestions are appreciated.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 PM
bgred619
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wiring and relay?s/ for sirius and guages

the power to the gauges wont be too much, b/c mainly its just the lights. i have mine in the car wired up to the dimmer switch for the lights that way you can control the brightness of them. as for the relay any1 will do fine if its back under the dash you realy wont hear them, even if you do it will be just when you turn on/off the truck.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:25 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: wiring and relay?s/ for sirius and guages

No relay needed the cig lighter will supply ten times the need of the gauges and definately wire the lights into the dimmer ....

Quick Reply: wiring and relay?s/ for sirius and guages