Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Power Steering/Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 PM
04 SXT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering/Brake Problem

Hey my girlfriends 99 cummins is having problems again the pulley on the power steering pump/ brake booster is not turning when you start the truck up when its cold and will not til you rev the motor up a little. Any idea on how to cure this problem?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:56 PM
6inarow
Professional
Default RE: Power Steering/Brake Problem

The powersteering pump on your diesel is gear driven, you cant see the pump drive turning from anywhere, where is location you are looking?, possibly you may be looking at the belt idler,

Old 01-30-2008, 11:04 PM
04 SXT
Professional

Down on the bottom right of the front of the motor when looking at it from the front. When you first start the truck the steering wheel won't budge and the brakes will not work at all as soon as you rev the motor a little everything frees up and works normal

Old 01-31-2008, 12:18 AM
6inarow
Professional

And this is a 99 correct? If you are starting up in temps below 20 degrees F, That is quite normal to not have power steering for a moment and to experience some qrowling, Im not sure what you are seeing thats not turning, seems to me it would be a belt idler, The belt did not start running the pump until 03,

Old 01-31-2008, 12:35 AM
04 SXT
Professional

Well I never actually saw it not turning thats just what I assummed I am a small block chevy guy and another mechanic told me that about the pump so I was partially miss lead then too i am new to the diesel world. Well hers will not start working unless you rev it any way to fix it or is it something you just deal with

Old 01-31-2008, 12:44 AM
6inarow
Professional

Well if its cold outside, deal with it and it will go away when it warms up, If it is warm out and doing it then drain and fill with atf, If it still does it then you will need to replace the pump, The pressure valve is likely sticking or the pump is just getting weak.

Quick Reply: Power Steering/Brake Problem