Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

u joints front suspension DEATH WOBBLE

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:53 PM
imacummin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default u joints front suspension DEATH WOBBLE

okay so last night i got my first case of death wobble. At about 70 mph i hit a pothole and shook so bad i had to completely stop. Today I jacked the truck up and the ball joints are okay. But the u joint on the passenger side of truck needs replaced. Im sure this part of the problem but i also noticed the track bar was very loose and had a lot of play in it. Just wondering with the truck in the air if the track bar should be tight or a little loose like mine. Also what size socket do i need to get that axle nut off to get to those u joints? Its a 99 CTD 3500.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:14 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: u joints front suspension DEATH WOBBLE

get a thurenfab bar to replace the tracbar... stock ones are junk. www.thurenfabrication.com Once your done with your repairs... go get the front end aligned and have the tech add as much caster as he can without rubbing... tell him to forget the specs. this will fix your DW problem.

I had a well worn tracbar and various other loose parts on my 2000 gasser and still did not have any DW problems (with 34" tires on it)... this after getting the alignment fixed.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:57 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

You need a 1 11/16" socket to get that axle nut off. You will also need a lot of torque. Mine were on extremely tight. I would reccomend changing the u-joints on both sides of the axle at the same time, just for piece of mind. Mine were bad and they were causing a grinding during turns and a vibration at 70 mph. Let me know if you have any questions about the ujoint change, I just did mine about 2 weeks ago.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:55 AM
dirtydodge02
Banned

I gotta question about a U-Joint swap. Never done one on a 3500. Pics would be awesome, but I'm sure I could get it figured out without. I guess that may well be what's causing my 65-80MPH vibration...

Old 02-11-2008, 01:19 AM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a mechanic put a Moog track bar on my pickup when I got the Solid Steel Stabilizer. Any reports on how the Moog stands up?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:18 AM
justviper1
Veteran

Moog is usually pretty good. we use a lot of moog suspension parts at my dad's garage and they seem to work well. i was going to use them for the ball joints in my truck. when i bought it all four were about ready to fall out! instead AC Delco gave us a promotion ona set of teflon coated supposedly top of the line best joints you can buy and lets just say in not even a month and 1500 mile both upper and lower onthe right side is looser than the ones i took out in the beginning. that salesman got an earful since i know have to do the job over!

Old 02-11-2008, 03:35 PM
dodgewithstacks

question on the u-joint change on axle, how hard and how long did it take you to do it? and any tips....reason is, i've got a small vibration around 60mph and up, and a slight grinding when i turn

Old 02-11-2008, 03:59 PM
bballmac42
Rookie

i have a question too. sorry if im stealing some help on this post. If i have a 4" lift on my CTD, and it has the drop pitman arm, do i just need a stock replacement bar? or doi need an adjustable/longer one? also, how hard are the ball joints to do on these bad boys. Ive done them in my chev, but not on the new dodge yet....anyone?

Old 02-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe there is a write up in the FAQ on replaceing the front bearings. the tear down procedure will be similar to that since you have to remove the same things. member Lesimon took plenty of pics of his 3rd gen while doing this.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:58 PM
ga_noplugs

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

get a thurenfab bar to replace the tracbar... stock ones are junk. www.thurenfabrication.com Once your done with your repairs... go get the front end aligned and have the tech add as much caster as he can without rubbing... tell him to forget the specs. this will fix your DW problem.

So, if im going to be upgrading my suspension in the next few weeks, will I get a tangible benefit to replacing it now? Other than the fact that Im already there...

Quick Reply: u joints front suspension DEATH WOBBLE