Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Checking the Fuel Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:56 PM
CummInRamIt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking the Fuel Injectors

Alright so I use to think that I had a turbo leak or something was wrong with it but I checked today and everything was good with the turbo. Well one of my buddies told me that since I'm still getting the White exhaust that it might be a fuel problem. To check this he told me while the truck is running with white exhaust to open each injector one at a time and see if it makes a difference one at a time. When/If it does make a difference what do I do next since that would tell me too much fuel is getting to the engine?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:12 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Checking the Fuel Injectors

first it would help if you fill out your sig so that other know what truck you have. You're talking about a injector kill test. Once you find the bad injector, if there is one... you'll need to pull it for replacement or repair. While in there though... you might as well do something with all of them.

To answer your other question... it's a good idea to keep an eye on egt's in a diesel. Heat is what kills them. If you plan on keeping your truck completly stock though, I wouldn't worry about it. It will be fine. Start modding it, then yes.... get a egt for sure. Also nice to have would be a boost, rail pressure and or fuel pressure.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:28 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

x2 on filling out the sig.

If you have a common rail truck ('03 - present) DO NOT open the injector lines while it is running. The pressures in the rail can cause you to be badly wounded! Besides because of the common rail you will not get the clear diagnosis your looking for.

Is your truck white smoking all the time or only when cold? Is your coolant level normal, or does it keep loosing coolant?

Old 02-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NickBeek

x2 on filling out the sig.

If you have a common rail truck ('03 - present) DO NOT open the injector lines while it is running. The pressures in the rail can cause you to be badly wounded! Besides because of the common rail you will not get the clear diagnosis your looking for.

Is your truck white smoking all the time or only when cold? Is your coolant level normal, or does it keep loosing coolant?

actualy, the engine will stop running. . .the injector test can only be done on the VE, P7100, and VP44 engines

Old 02-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

heres his info..found it on the profile page....

it was in the "siganture" box. so I wonder if his sig is turned off??

1996 Dodge Ram 2500
Cummins Diesel - Turbo

Quick Reply: Checking the Fuel Injectors