Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Ram wouldn't fire up this morning ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008 | 11:14 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend
Default RE: Ram wouldn't fire up this morning ...

Yes

It fired right up a few times after I left work. Hopefully it was just a fluke thing. I guess we'll see tomorrow morning.

Old 02-12-2008 | 12:03 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

If not you can always trade it for a gasser.

Old 02-12-2008 | 12:09 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

OUCH!!![:@]

Old 02-12-2008 | 08:32 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

The pump running after an abrupt engine stop is normal even if you take the key out. Bump your engine just enough to turn over but don't start it. You should hear the pump run for about 20-30 seconds.

It sounds like your fuel was close to gelling. I have found out that these inline pumps get exposed to the cold air faster than the pumps in the tank or even under the hood. Most of them are installed along the frame and are exposed to more wind. Plus most of them are aluminum which are good conductors of heat/cold. It's kinda like the bridges freeze before roadway rule. I'l bet the fuel in the aluminum FASS was colder than the fuel in the lines and tank and was just about the right temperature to gell. When you fired it up, it pushed warmer fuel through the system which caused it to start running.

When my system gelled back in December, the in-tank pump worked several hours before the Walbro warmed up.

Old 02-12-2008 | 08:57 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Being the temps in your area rise and fall a lot its possable water formed in the tank and started to freez thus causing the hard start. It would be a very good idea to use some type of anti gel in your tank if your not 100% sure how well its winterized. I have yet to see proof that 2 cycle oil will stop diese from gelling nor take care of the water that in to most diesel fuel. BTW are you buying good fuel filters like Fleetguard or Baldwin or does your fass have its own?

Old 02-12-2008 | 11:30 AM
Hiloram
Professional

Mayfair, people shouldn't live anywhere they need to plug in there trucks lol

Old 02-12-2008 | 12:00 PM
Baddog543
Veteran

17 degrees is would be counted as a warm day here the last couple of days. We have had negitive temps here.

Old 02-12-2008 | 02:47 PM
burban2002
Veteran

I left the ram unplugged for the night on the street and it got down to about 5 degrees. It started right up, but I also run some of the white PS and 2 stroke. I think if you run the anti gel you wont have any trouble

Old 02-12-2008 | 05:21 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend

ORIGINAL: DBLR

Being the temps in your area rise and fall a lot its possable water formed in the tank and started to freez thus causing the hard start. It would be a very good idea to use some type of anti gel in your tank if your not 100% sure how well its winterized. I have yet to see proof that 2 cycle oil will stop diese from gelling nor take care of the water that in to most diesel fuel. BTW are you buying good fuel filters like Fleetguard or Baldwin or does your fass have its own?
I hear ya about the 2 stroke. I should start carrying a bottle of PS I guess huh. I DID just get fuel at a new station. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

I'm useing FASS filters which are Fleetguard

Old 02-12-2008 | 05:26 PM
Watermelon
Captain

Donnie, Have you tried the rpm treatment that I mentioned yesterday . id say that you guys that do mostly stop and go driving need to try it.

Quick Reply: Ram wouldn't fire up this morning ...