Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Are you having this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Shadanigans
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you having this problem?

Hello,
I just signed up and love the site. I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummings 6.7 Turbo Diesel. 6" lift, 20x35's mud terrains. My problem is this; My check engine light keeps coming on after a fewweeks of regular driving. I bring it in and they keep it for the day, then give it back with some BS line about some general error code. The last time this happened the service coordinator told me that the problem was with the particulate air cleaner. I only run street diesel and dont do any crazystuff:burn outs, deep mudding, extra heavy towing or stuff like that. Is this happening to anyone else? This is my first Diesel and I am getting sick of having to go back and forth to the shop.I love the truck and dont want to get rid of it, but this is starting to **** me off. I bought the truck in November and have had it in for the check engine light twice......oooops I forgot, it's back on again so tomorrow makes three times. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 02-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Watermelon
Captain
Default RE: Are you having this problem?

Welcome to the forum Dan. The 6.7s are still cutting their teeth and DC has some reflashes for them that seem to be helping the particulate filter and the trouble codes. From what I have read and heard the guys running hard and pulling on the hwy are not having as much trouble as say the guys that are short tripping and doin city driving. These engines 5.9 and 6.7 alike tend to perform better if you keep them wound up. Im not saying beat on it, just give it some rpms or hang a trailer behind it and get er hot evey once in a while.Ive been running these trucks since 2000 and we are yet to spend a dime on repairs other than a few sets of brake pads, and believe me they get the crap worked out of them. Good Luck

Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Stang_luvr
Rookie

Dan,

What kind of miles are you driving to get to work? If you're driving short distances the DPF (diesel particulate filter) is going to get full if you truck can put itself through the regeneration mode. I was having problems with mine kept throwing error code P2000. Went home to NY for Christmas and locked the keys in the truck with it running at my brothers house. Thank goodness for a great dealership not far away, gave them my VIN# and they cut me a key to get in the door....truck idled for about 30 minutes...left for NC and was fine...stopped and got gas in VA and Voila....overhead computer said DPF was 80% full...then went to 90%...finally fuel mileage started dropping and I was pretty sure it was in full blown regen...

To make a long story short, truck is now fine, haven't had any more issues with the exhaust system and throwing codes (I know...I've just jinxed myself)

Have patience, they're a wonderful motor, just have to give Dodge a chance to get all the kinks worked out.

Good luck
Darryn

Old 02-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

ORIGINAL: Shadanigans

Hello,
I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummings 6.7 Turbo Diesel.
Do you really have a Cummings engine in your Ram?

Old 02-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Stang_luvr
Rookie

Joel,

Maybe that's his problem...he's got an imposter motor...he's running a knock-off...he's got the cummings....instead of the cummins that everyone else has [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 02-20-2008, 10:03 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

Dan -- don't take it personal...if the guys around here aren't giving you a hard time they don't like ya much

As for the DPF issues...check the software and drive it. We had a 6.7 for a while. Most of the driving was short low speed city driving. That is when we would start to see issues. Would have to take it out and put it on the freeway for a hour or so to get it to cycle though. Once we changed the driving style our lilttle issues stopped (then we got rid of it and didn't have anymore problems ).

Old 02-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

I've had my check engine light come on a few times. I was able to read the codes and reset the light with my Edge. One time last summerthe codewas turbo related, but that one never resurfaced. A couple of times I have had a code related to the DPF, but it went away on its own. Make sure you only use ULSD fuel, and like the others have said, longer trips are better than short ones.

Quick Reply: Are you having this problem?