Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

N-FAB Nerf Bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008 | 06:47 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned
Default RE: N-FAB Nerf Bars

ORIGINAL: lecmoto

I pulled this from their website (www.n-fab.com) that says it is patended & also spoke to them before I purchased & was told that they authorize Go Rhino to make them but there were many differences in the bars.
The N-Fab bars are 3" tubing; Wheel to Wheel; all one paice with brackets welded on the bars & the only ones who had a 6 step design.
Go Rhino is a 2.5" tubing; only cab length; brackets bolt to the bars & only come in the 4 step model.

I did alot of research on these since they were more expensive than others out there but they are definately worth the money in my opinion.[*]Innovative and patented step and mounting system is the best on the market today.

Also they claim that Smittybilt is a totally different company (located in California & N-FAB is in Houston, TX).

Hope this helps.
[*]Nope, wrong!! Go Rhino also has the "DOMINATOR III" series. They are wheel to wheel 6 step bars 3" dia. and have Aluminum step pads and Kick plates. The look much better than the N-Fabs to me but not sure about the quality.

Old 02-27-2008 | 07:12 PM
triton
Record Breaker

You might want to look a little more then. Go Rhino has been around way longer than N-Fab, you were told a line of crap. N-Fab is about or a little over a year old. That's how long Smitty Built has been oout of business.

Belive me or not..... I've had triple step N-Fabs for over a year now. I bought them when N-Fab first opened up shop. I spoke with the owner to get them and he's the one that told me about them taking over Smitty Built and Smitty builts design. The bars are the same thing Smitty Built used to make. Just nicer.

Just be sure to repair the dings and knicks they get cause if you don't, you'll have some expensive rusty bars on your truck !

I pulled this from their website (www.n-fab.com) that says it is patended & also spoke to them before I purchased & was told that they authorize Go Rhino to make them but there were many differences in the bars.
The N-Fab bars are 3" tubing; Wheel to Wheel; all one paice with brackets welded on the bars & the only ones who had a 6 step design.
Go Rhino is a 2.5" tubing; only cab length; brackets bolt to the bars & only come in the 4 step model.

I did alot of research on these since they were more expensive than others out there but they are definately worth the money in my opinion.[*]Innovative and patented step and mounting system is the best on the market today.

Also they claim that Smittybilt is a totally different company (located in California & N-FAB is in Houston, TX).

Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2008 | 07:16 PM
triton
Record Breaker

you're correct. The quality is as good if not better. The reason they can be thinner is they're SS. Corrosion is going to be a problem so, they caqn be thinner.

For the cost... I was pretty disappointed in the N-Fab's. The welds look like something my 11 yrs old did and the powder coating is very ! thin.

ORIGINAL: energinerbuzzy[*]Go Rhino also has the "DOMINATOR III" series. They are wheel to wheel 6 step bars 3" dia. and have Aluminum step pads and Kick plates. The look much better than the N-Fabs to me but not sure about the quality.

Old 02-27-2008 | 07:34 PM
lecmoto

Well I guess we agree to disagree on the quality unless they may have made many improvements since you purchased yours; I think they are very high quality & the welds look very strong.

Needless to say they are a great set of bars.

Thank you for your input.

Old 02-27-2008 | 07:40 PM
lecmoto

Smittybilt is still in business & is owned by the same people that own 4 Wheel Parts & Pro Comp; they do business in Compton California & were going out of business until they were purchased. They have in their catalog which I just received & show the bars in there as N-FAB bars distributed by Smittybilt.

At the end of the day I have to admit it dos'nt matter a whole lot how long N-FAB has been around since they seem to make a great product & unique as well.

Old 02-27-2008 | 07:57 PM
triton
Record Breaker

yeah, it really doesn't matter. I know you won't find any Smitty Built product current produced though.

Anyway, I didn't realised you had already bought yours. Don't get me wrong... I do like them but, for the price I personally would go with Go Rhino next time. As I said in the other post, Go Rhino's are thinner because they're SS. It helps with weight and corrosion isn't a issue. The N-Fab welds are strong but, very, very poorly done. They use a jig to make the bars and a guy stands there welding steps and brackets on. I guess it depends on who they had that day doing it.

I was just looking to give you some advise from someone who's had the bars for a while. You " must " replace the hardware with SS if they haven't already done that with their kits. You also " must " use lock nuts on the bolts. You need to be sure and tighten the bolts every so often. The holes pinch welds will stretch over time, not much you can do about that. The powder coating is so very thin so it also will start to wear. Then you will start seeing rust forming, not real bad but, it's the beginnings.

Your truck look nice with them on there. You'll get some good use out of them I'm sure :-)

Old 02-27-2008 | 08:02 PM
lecmoto

Thank you for the information; I truly appreciate all you had to say.

It's nice to know that people are willing to help out!

Old 02-27-2008 | 08:08 PM
woligator
Record Breaker

mayfair: well yeas cuz i need a step to climb on my bed by the side but this is not big deal anyway 1-2or 3,
i already stock something very similar for the step i use to make safety ladder....

as for patent u cant copy something patented but for sure u can make something that look like it but not exact replica

Old 02-27-2008 | 09:50 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

Smittybilt is still in business & is owned by the same people that own 4 Wheel Parts & Pro Comp; they do business in Compton California & were going out of business until they were purchased. They have in their catalog which I just received & show the bars in there as N-FAB bars distributed by Smittybilt.

At the end of the day I have to admit it dos'nt matter a whole lot how long N-FAB has been around since they seem to make a great product & unique as well.
No one is dissing your steps. Personally I think they both look great but I prefer the look of the Aluminum on Black powdercoat that Go Rhino offers.
That and I already have the matching Go Rhino rear Step.........

Name:  IMG_0699.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  260.7 KB

Old 02-28-2008 | 01:33 AM
Mayfair
Legend

That rear step is pretty nice Buzzy. I've never seen one like that before.

Quick Reply: N-FAB Nerf Bars