Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

idle and cool down questions????

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:30 PM
prerunner
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle and cool down questions????

Cooling down: I drive about 1.5 hrs to work.....doing mostly 70mph.....how long should i let her idle down before i shut her off????? Or do i really need to worry about it??

High idle: A guy at work was telling me on his 05, he had them program in a high idle at startup, says it helps the truck warm up fatser....anyone else heard of this?????

Old 02-26-2008, 10:39 PM
SpLaT
Captain
Default RE: idle and cool down questions????

I would suggest some gauges, like a pyro, boost and fuel press. Uusally depending on ambient temps a few minutes is all thats required. I had my 05 high idle set up before taking it off the lot. Again, in previous posts long idling times is not good for diesels contrary to popular beliefs, they just don't get hot enough. I usually start mine up run for about 3-5 minutes then putt putt away till I see engine temp start to come up.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Just by winging it without gauges, I'd say a 2 minute warm up and a 2 minute cool down and you should be fine, however I agree that you should get yourself some gauges.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:57 AM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

Shut it off as soon as you park. The time it takes you to find a parking spot by the time you wheel into a parking lot is enough for cool down. You're wheeling around for a minute or so in lower gears at lowerrpms, that's all it needs. That's how I've always done 18 wheelers and never had any turbo failures and none of my big trucks has ever had an egt gauge either. The only time you need to let one idle for a minute or sois if you're pulling a heavy load really hard and suddenly come to a stop or if you've been racing like crazy.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:18 PM
prerunner
Captain

Do they have any plug and play gauges, or should i go to my local shops and get a quote for install??????

Old 02-27-2008, 02:03 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

High Idle is something that can be enabled at the dealer on automatics w/ cruise control - most dealers will just 'do it' some will ask you to whip out the checkbook. For Sticks or trucks w/o cruise it is a bit more fun.
here is a thread on it https://dodgeforum.com/m_572602/tm.htm

Up in the main FAQ thread we have a couple different install how to's on how to install gauges https://dodgeforum.com/m_578941/tm.htm

Quick Reply: idle and cool down questions????