Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Strange Idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008 | 10:05 PM
Thraxer528
Default Strange Idle

I have a question reguarding my idle. This is with my stock program in the truck.

While ideling it will cut out like it is going to shut off and and then it will catch itself and not shut off. Also when I am moving the truck, say backing up to turn around, it will stall. It does this when I push the clutch in. ex. Today I was turning around in my driveway,I was backing up and I pushed the clutch in and the truck stalled out. It did the same thing to me 2 days ago but it was when I was moving forward.

I have sat in it and watched the lift pump pressure and it drops when this occurs, however it seems to drop after the truck acts like it is going to stall. I am assuming that this is happening when the engine is calling for more fuel to keep it running.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Next Friday I am leaving for a gncc race in Georgia so I need to know if the truck is going to make it.

Thanks

Old 02-28-2008 | 10:09 PM
Mopar528
Default RE: Strange Idle

sorry guys I was loged in under the wrong profile. It doesnt have a signature. But this one does.

Old 02-28-2008 | 10:40 PM
Drew
Professional

your lift pump is dieing. . .get it changed out before you get down here. if you have any troubles I live south of Atlanta

Old 02-29-2008 | 06:19 PM
Mopar528

Thanks drew. I am planning on picking up a FASS 150 on monday. My next question is what more do I need to expect. Im going to be really cutting it close on time so I want to make sure that I have everyting that I need. I want to at least get my larger lines from the tank to the pump. I will worry about getting it from the lif pump to the injection pump later.

Thanks.

PS If you know of an install someone did with a good description on what to expect that would be great.

Quick Reply: Strange Idle