Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

help/advice replacing 12v's clutch master/slave assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:49 PM
avshi750
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help/advice replacing 12v's clutch master/slave assembly

does anyone have experience replacing one of these things?
my master cylinder was leaking so i bought a replacement off the cummins forum. its an OEM mopar piece but there are some differences shown in the pictures below.

the old master came out easy enough from the firewall but i ran out of light fighting to get the new master back in. is the difference in mounting depth causing a problem? the two wire harness and the master cylinder to clutch pedal rod hook right back up with no problems.

second problem i'm having is getting the new slave cylinder back into the trans. no pics of this, i'll have to describe it. i'll snap a few tomorrow if anyone thinks they can be of more help with pics. the rod of the slave cylinder has a white-ish tip that seems to seat itself into this "bowl" in a metal plate inside the trans. my problem is that slave rod does not seem to want to compress to allow for the re-installation.

help!
thanks

Old 03-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: help/advice replacing 12v's clutch master/slave assembly

did you happen to get an upgraded clutch system to handle the higher plate load of a new clutch???

that master cylinder may not work, but it is worth a try. as far as the slave cylinder you need to open the bleed port and take some slip joint pliers to compress it back. however it will move back out due to an internal spring.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:51 PM
avshi750

ORIGINAL: Drew

did you happen to get an upgraded clutch system to handle the higher plate load of a new clutch???
no, supposed to be a straight replacment part. i was hoping that the differences were just a newer design.

ORIGINAL: Drew
that master cylinder may not work, but it is worth a try. as far as the slave cylinder you need to open the bleed port and take some slip joint pliers to compress it back. however it will move back out due to an internal spring.
AHHH!!! i thought these were sealed and bled from the factory. looking for the bleed port... um... what would i be looking for? when you say compress the slave rod back in it makes me think of a process like compressing a brake caliper cylinder, am i on the right track?

thanks for your help drew!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:06 PM
12valveman
Professional

you first need to install the master part and then when you are underneath and trying to install the slave part couple it to the master cylinder hose do not open the bleeder when you couple them together this will allow the fluid to flow back to the master instead of opening the bleed port in theory you should not need to compress it any more oem slaves usually come completely compressed with the white strap holding them fully depressed. let me know if it helped or any other ?

Old 03-07-2008, 03:19 PM
avshi750

headin' out to work on the clutch right now.

1- fully install master cylinder. does this include hooking up the rod to the pedal?
2- slide under to install slave. slave, master and reservoir came as a one piece assemble. unfortunately the slave rod was already released when i got the assembly. my goal is to try and compress it myself.

is the bleeder port just the cap on the reservoir? i'm not really seeing anything else that would be to bleed the system.

any opinion on if the differences in the master cylinder will cause install or operation problems?

thanks

Old 03-07-2008, 04:14 PM
avshi750

well i was able to compress the slave cylinder, so that can be installed. yay!
now i just need to wrestle the master cylinder into place.

Quick Reply: help/advice replacing 12v's clutch master/slave assembly