Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

08 w/ a cummins- can i add an air compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 04:09 AM
towrecovery
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 w/ a cummins- can i add an air compressor?

hi all!
I just factory ordered a 08 2500 w/ a cummins. want to know, can i buy a cummins air compressor- the same that are on the semi trucks- and install it on the dodge?

i called a cummins shop and the parts guy said "i don't see why not, i think dodge put the power steering pump on the mounting brackets that would normally hold the compressor. its on the lower drivers side"

i am wondering if anyone has added a compressor or if its even possible?

also, lets say for arguments sake, i replace the power steering pump, w/ a cummins compressor/ power steering pump combo- will that void any warranties on the whole engine or just the pump or what?

any advice would be great b4 i spend $$$$$ on a compressor
thanks
Jim[/align]

Old 03-16-2008, 08:06 AM
woligator
Record Breaker
Default RE: 08 w/ a cummins- can i add an air compressor?

well if got place to spare any compressor can be installed,just a maybe a nigtmare whit the serpentine belt

Old 03-16-2008, 10:47 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Why not add a seperate electric unit and small tank under the frame rails with a outlet front and back? There are many out there to chose from.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

Adding a belt-driven compressor should work okay; just be prepared to spend a lot of money doing it. Those kind of pumps are an integral part of the air brake systems, and are engineered for long life and reliability. As Jimmy suggests, the little 12v compressors are great for occassional use. I have the VIAIR 450 on mine.

Why would it affect the warranty to add a belt-driven compressor? Unless you add something that forces the engine to produce more power, the warranty should be a non-issue.

Quick Reply: 08 w/ a cummins- can i add an air compressor?