Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

anyone running a trailer through west texas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:50 PM
mytowrig
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone running a trailer through west texas?

hey guys, just sitting here at work getting frustrated that i can't break in my truck! right now i don't have a trailer, and if i did, i wouldnt be able to get time off work to tow it! i still have under 1400 miles on the odo. is there anyone running a hefty bumper pull trailer through west texas that wants to trade trucks for a few days? on a side note, anybody in georga headed up this way? all the cheap covered cargo trailers are hiding down in florida and georga[:@] (by the way, when i say west texas, i mean anywhere between pecos and midland)

Old 03-17-2008, 06:03 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned
Default RE: anyone running a trailer through west texas?

You almost got your wish, we are going to Vegas Wednesday morning and at one point we were going to drive and rent a 35' bumper pull. The wife insist that we fly though. I will let her know that on top of not being able to swing thru AZ to see da boyz, she also let down a fellow TEXAN!!!

1400 miles both ways pulling 12k or better would have been a decent break in for sure.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:05 PM
mytowrig
Captain

dangit! almost...

Old 03-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Az2500Cummins08

Lol. I hated breaking my new truck in that way. Brand new truck, felt pretty weird. I pulled a 25 ft travel trailer up to the flagstaff area to go camping the night I got my truck in january. Then a week later, I towed my 6,000 LB 57 Chevy 3100 custom 4x4 pickup, with a spare t-case and tranny in its bed, a 454 in bed of my ram, the back seat loaded down, bed completely full, all the way to texas. I barely put 1,000 miles on it before I left. Not to mention I drove NE to Kingman first. then, up all those mountains, to the grand canyon then straight through new mexico, coming down from Amarillo. What a trip. The Cummins is a BEAST! did not hesitate at all going up those hills with all that weight.

This summer I get to drag my 78 Bronco down to Texas from Minnesota, that one is gonna suck. 9 inches of total lift on 38 inch Ground Hawgs. (Super spongy tire.) I need to get some spare wheels with the smallest tires I can find to put on it before I tow it down, or that mother is gonna tip.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:42 PM
mytowrig
Captain

sounds like a great way to break in your truck!

Old 03-18-2008, 06:12 AM
Bigriver

About a month after I bought my truck in Aug. of 06', and after the first oil change, I towed my 15k 37' Doubletree 5'ver from north Indiana to home, near New Orleans. The truck was still bone stock, but hauled like a brute. Have to say that the mods just made the truck all the more impressive to me.
Got to think that after that first haul, the break in was well underway. Since then, never looked back and my only concerns are "what's for dinner"!!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Az2500Cummins08

ORIGINAL: mytowrig

sounds like a great way to break in your truck!

I hadn't driven any vehicle other than a John Deere Gator, and a Polaris Ranger in over a year, plus, it was my very first brand new truck. you know that feeling. People get too close to you, you get nervous. Also, my first diesel, plus a manual transmission. It was a very interesting trip. Also, my 57 Chevy pickup was on the trailer, so it was pretty hectic. I carried my gun on my leg the whole time.

Quick Reply: anyone running a trailer through west texas?