Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

rear brake calipers pinching!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:44 PM
swede7000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear brake calipers pinching!!!

I did a search and found nothing.

70,000 miles on a 2004.5 2500 CTD

I had the brake and power steering vacuum unit (it holds the brake fluid res) replaced at about 60,000 miles. It was leaking hydro oil and causing the brake pedal to bottom out against the floor board. The truck had been sitting for a couple of weeks. Yesterday I drove down the highway and hit rush hour slowdown. I could smell smoking brakes and looked around for the source. When I got home and jumped down I realized it was me!!! Both rear rims were HOT to the touch! The fronts were cool and normal. The e-brake was not on (first thing I checked).

Anyone have any ideas on what would cause this. I'm thinking that the rear calipers will fry quickly and have to be replaced. A thought was the the new vacuum unit is not sucking the rear brakes like it should? Just before winter I pumped new fluid through the system (I'm a bit of a maintenance freak) till it came out clean and NO air. When I was younger I would get a rebuild kit with the o-rings and such and the calipers would be like new. Anyone done this on a big ram? Or just replace the calipers?

Thanks,

Karl

Old 03-19-2008, 01:13 PM
aka_chewy
All Star
Default RE: rear brake calipers pinching!!!

I would replace the rear brake lines. The rubber part that connects the caliper to the steel line. I've heard that they'll swell from the inside and the brake fluid will have a tough time flowing. Usually you'll first notice the brakes not releasing right away cause the fluid can't leave as quickly. My guess is those lines are really bad and you can force brake fluid to the calipers when pressing the brakes, but the fluid won't release.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:32 PM
swede7000
Default RE: rear brake calipers pinching!!!

Thanks for the info, the lines are something i would have not thought to check!

Quick Reply: rear brake calipers pinching!!!