Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

squeeky belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008 | 09:55 AM
Kev_n_AZ
|
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeeky belt

my NEW belt squeeks. has for a couple weeks now. the old one did too. I tried sprain the pullies with brake parts cleaner to freshen them up.

any idea???

this is during idle and while driving. low level hum or squeel at certain rpms...

Old 03-20-2008 | 10:02 AM
12valveman
Professional
Default RE: squeeky belt

well i hate to tell you but my experience in this is that brake cleaner makes the belts squeak it dries out the belt and then squeaks even worse than it did before. was there any oil on the pulleys previous i presume the tensioner works properly usually when you clean the belt with a cleaner no matter what they squeak try a silicone based lube or a dry lube spay on the belt to help but i have found that is only temporary

Old 03-20-2008 | 10:13 AM
Kev_n_AZ
|
Banned

my diesel mechanic at Dodge said to NEVER use a belt dressing. he even mentioned they have had to pull ALL of the pullies and clean them to remove squeek

Old 03-20-2008 | 04:45 PM
12valveman
Professional

yes kevin but at the point your at now you have dried out the belt by spraying on brake cleaner which cleans everything yes but drys out the belt as well and when i say try something like a silicone i mean just a shot or two not the whole can like some do when a little works alot or the whole can "is" better? i would bet not

Old 03-20-2008 | 04:48 PM
Kev_n_AZ
|
Banned

I will look at it.

Quick Reply: squeeky belt