Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

off to look at a new CTD

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:38 PM
sa1765
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default off to look at a new CTD

i called the local dealer today to ask about a couple used cummins'....well, they we're what i was interested in. but damnit, the ******* (i'm just saying that, i actually like the guy) tells me about current 0% for 60 months or $4500 cash back on new cummins. damn that *******. now i gotta go and look...get all worked up about a new truck...get pissy cause they won't give me squat on mine...typical crap.
anywho...having never owned a diesel, how much more money is it to maintain one? i figure fuel price for an average month won't be much different for me...considering i don't drive lots of miles during a month, mileage difference, what i'm pulling, blah, blah, blah.
how much faster will it eat through tires? brakes? how much does it cost for an oil change? how often do the fuel filters have to be changed and how much are they?
basically, over the course of a year, how much more will i spend on maint. w/ the cummins... percentage wise?

Old 03-27-2008, 02:03 AM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: off to look at a new CTD

I think it's a draw

You'll use a bit more oil when you do a change, however you can go 5K in a diesel instead of 3K in a gasser. Also, no plugs to replace.

The front brakes MAY go out quicker, but that's only because of the added weight of the Cummins. Other than that, the maintenance between the two is basically the same. You'll get better MPG's with a diesel over a gasser, especially when towing. Lastly, a diesel will out live a gasser by about 300K

I'd look on craigslist and autotrader. Unfortunately there are a lot of good guys who are getting rid of their diesels simply because they can't afford them anymore, so there are definately some deals out there.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:11 AM
RamItOne

if your credit is good then its generally better to go with the cash option and get a low interest rate from a bank.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:28 AM
dirtydodge02
Banned

I have to agree with Mayfair. I found mine online. NADA on the truck alone (stock) is $32,000 and I bought it as you see it for $23,999. Deals are out there.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:36 PM
sa1765
Veteran

i was kinda hoping for an 06 mega. but i wasn't exactly in the market right now. damn dealer just has me a little interested....so i'll go get a price and ponder on it for a while. with the second kid due in just a couple weeks, i don't quite feel right about getting a new truck, but i'm ultimately leaving it up to my wife...makes it easier on me.