Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fan clutch is out

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008 | 11:47 AM
RamItOne
Default RE: Fan clutch is out

man thats steep you could have gotten something like this
http://www.automotiveconcepts.net/st...148680729.html
yeah i know its not for your model year but theyre out there, this SOB does 6,000 CFM.
as for "thats just something else to do wrong" your clutch fan already "went wrong"

Old 03-31-2008 | 11:49 AM
austin
|
Veteran

Well if it happens again maybe. For now I will stick to stock. I noticed with the fan not working the AC didn't work untill I was on the highway.
Would one of those "better fans" helps cool down the AC in the summer?

Old 03-31-2008 | 12:30 PM
Mayfair
Legend

For some reason I didn't think that electric fans were a good idea on out Rams.

Old 03-31-2008 | 12:32 PM
RamItOne

your ac already has its own electric a/c condensor fan (at least my gasser has one, dont see why yalls wouldnt), i havent heard of any high flow versions of those but assume there are out there for larger vehicle like an excursion that has to cool more cubic feet.

was that 500 charge with labor? E fans arent that hard to put in, even if you dont have a impact you can still get the stock clutch fan off by throwing your ***** into it. Replaced my buddys 02 water pump and taking that clutch fan off was a bitch, but all in all from hood up to hood down 40 min on the water pump. e fan shouldnt take more than an hour.

but since yalls "great powerfull engines" need to warm up in the winter or theyll break lol, replacing the stock clutch with a variable speed e fan would help getting the engine temp up in the winter time.

Old 03-31-2008 | 12:38 PM
RamItOne

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

For some reason I didn't think that electric fans were a good idea on out Rams.
closest i could find that pertains to your truck

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/d...fan/index.html

keep in mind i spent a whole Results 1 - 100 of about 715,000 for electric fans dodge diesel. (0.09 seconds) looking for it[8D]

Old 03-31-2008 | 01:11 PM
Drew
Professional

the electric fans dont work too well on our trucks, there are alot of d-max owners who are rather mad after changing out the belt driven fan to an electric fan and had overheating issues. . .you will be better off replaceing the clutch.

BTW, they do tend to go out from time to time, some guy's are on their 4th or 5th clutch, and they have an 05. there is no rhyme or reason for them going out.

Old 03-31-2008 | 01:26 PM
RamItOne

but that doesn't make sense, the E fans must have broke, but like you said yalls clutch goes out quite often
Youre gonna overheat when your in stop and go traffic or towing up long inclines, the e fans gonna get you pleanty of air during idling and reduce engine strain while providing pleanty of air flow when towing.

The duracraps may have not put in a good high flow fan, you can buy cheap ones, but 500 bucks on an e fan will get you a good quality product.

Either way using it as a propellor won't be a good idea, I make my serpentine squeal all the time with out high water crossing bull ****.

Old 03-31-2008 | 01:35 PM
Drew
Professional

I understand your thought behind the e-fans. . I have one on my yoda and it does a very good job, infact it pulls more air than the belt driven fan did. however you cannot match the air flow the belt driven fan can pull with the e-fans on the diesel trucks. at idle yea, the air flow is similar, but when you rev the engine up a little the air flow the fan pulls is way more than what the e-fans can do.

now, I can see a use for the e-fans on our trucks. yea, the A/C is a bit weak when my truck is not moving, however the e-fans I have on my yoda are thin enough they may fit on front of the A/C condensor and push air through to help improve A/C performance.

Old 03-31-2008 | 01:46 PM
RamItOne

hrm anyone know the cfm at highway speed on a standard clutch fan? The e fans that us gassers use really only need to be around 3,000 cfm, so I'm surprised that 6,000 wouldn't be enough. Sounds like yalls engines like a woman a lil too damn needy LOL.

Old 03-31-2008 | 02:21 PM
Drew
Professional

HA HA HA HA. . .yea, you could look at it like that. . .however if you put a gasser radiator next to ours, that gasser would be dwarfed. I think our radiator is about 4x the size of even the hemi's radiator.

Quick Reply: Fan clutch is out