Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

DAMNIT VP44!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:42 PM
02cummins
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DAMNIT VP44!

Ive asked about it before, but there really isnt any good answer for it so far...but i have the vp44...and i have been havin this problem with fueling once and a while, which is becoming more of a problem for me lately...drivin at any speed hot or cold when pressin the fuel pedal drivin down the road itll all of a sudden shut down fueling most the way(like someone hittin a switch, instantly w/ no delay) then it might only do it for a few seconds or itll do it for a while, and its really gettin annoying...and i doubt its my juice/attitude package(like the de-fueling part of it), im thinkin its just my vp44 ****tin the bed. i have approx 65k miles on it now and ive been tryin to deal with it till i save some $$$ for a new pump, which i cant do because im unemployed and a new pump will most likely be $1300 and i cant throw a stock one back on it, itll have to be the Hot Rod VP44 which i believe is $1900+(im layed off for a month)since there is no construction work yet. so i guess ill be pinchin pennies on unemployment for a few weeks...at first i was thinkin it might have been my transferpump (lift pump)..so i put my FASS system on and it did the same thing. so its narrowed down to my juice/attitude set up or my vp44, and im willing to bet its my vp44. i have plenty of fuel pressure to it, so tomorrow i think im gonna unplug all the crap(map sensor etc) i need to, to be back completely to stock (without the juice) and see how that works. if that doesnt do it then were changing the pump...now i gotta do some research on how to time that pump and gotta find a manual on it...any info would be nice on what you think it could be or how to do etc...im a mechanic so im not stupid just never worked on the cummins before so anything would help. and by the way, i dont think its my throttle position sensor because the attitude monitor has a gauge to show you your throttle position, and when it cuts the fuel off on me i switch it to that and itll tell me where my pedal is and its right on...HELP ME!!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:09 PM
woligator
Record Breaker
Default RE: DAMNIT VP44!

heee ur much better to stay whit a standart output Vp44,they react more than a HRvp44 and they are more reliable
and u cant service a VP44,u need to get a new one

Old 04-01-2008, 11:27 PM
02cummins
Captain

the stock vp44 responds better ? im not sure what you mean, it has better throttle response? what makes the hrvp44 any better than the stock?

Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Isn't there a way to test the 44 before replacing it? Some sort of pressure test or something? It seems a shame to replace a part like that based solely on a guess.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:21 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Dead pedal is one of the signs that a VP44 is going out.

It could also be you TPS. Check the connetions and wires and make sure they are good.

I've seen the TPS do some funny stuff on the 2nd gens before. We were traveling to AZ with a group of 01 Dodges (and one Ford) pulling horse trailers. One guy kept stopping because his pedal would go dead. The truck idled fine, just nothing when you pressed the pedal. The only thing that would fix it, was pulling the battery cable and letting the ECM reset. He swore the TPS was good because it had just been replaced 2 weeks prior. After he spent $2500 throwing parts at it, he took it to a diesel shop here in town. They replaced his brand new TPS and it fixed the problem.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:45 AM
mopar1973man
Veteran

Well here comes the ScanGauge II to the rescue. If you had a ScanGauge II you could be checking your APPS sensor for position during the time that dead pedal occurs. Not to mention checking for errors...

Scanguage II...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2...scangauge2.htm

Fuel pump diagnostics... Double check you fuel supply...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2...ift%20pump.htm

OBD II Error codes... You might find another clue...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2...rror_codes.htm

Old 04-02-2008, 11:46 AM
02cummins
Captain

you guys think it could be my tps? even though my attitude monitor is correct at that % my pedal is pushed at during the time of the "dead pedal" ? i mean if i have the pedal down 75% and i look at my attitude/juice module, it will tell me im at 75% or if im higher/lower it will tell me and be correct...doesnt that go through my emc like my tps would ?

Old 04-02-2008, 02:20 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

Mine was not doing it that bad or at all. But my TPS was bad so I just had it replaced by Parts/Service (david) and it is awesome..but they are expensive for our trucks because you can replace just the sensor you have to replace the whole piece with the sensor.

good luck man!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:22 PM
woligator
Record Breaker

ive though of changing my HOvp44 whit a hrvp44 too but i read of on it and what i learned is that when u use a fuel box as the comp u produce more power whit a Standart Output VP44 than
an High OutputVP44 and then a HRVP44,and hrvp44 are rumored to be not reliable...buy a SOVP44 and a edge comp ull get more power and have different power level at cheaper price

Old 04-02-2008, 07:38 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Was there a post on here recently that showed how to clean your TPS by drilling a hole in it? And yes the TPS is expensive, but a whole lot cheaper than a VP44.

Quick Reply: DAMNIT VP44!