Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

contaminated fuel ?????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:48 PM
mwolfe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: contaminated fuel ?????????

Just went through this last fall. My '06 had about 28k on the odometer and was dead in the driveway. Had it towed to the dealership and they determined that I had contaminated fuel (same deal...about a $12k fix). After conducting an investigation, my insurance company paid for the repair (less my deductible).The dealership had to provide them samples of the contaminated fuel and they sentit off to some lab in CA. Inever did hear what it was that was in the fuel...I reallydidn't care.It took about 10 weeks from the time the truck was towed to the time the repairs were complete. Unless you have really crappy insurance, I don't see how you could not be covered. If someone maliciously vandalizes your truck (say someone dumps a bag of sand into your fuel tank just for fun) your comprehensive auto insurance pays for the repairs...that's why you have insurance. This circumstance is no different. For all you know, that may be exactly what happened. I'd put a little more pressure on your insurance company. Good luck man.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:36 PM
twiessmer

What insurance do you have, if you dont mind me asking? I have wawanesa insurance, and when I submitted it they said it wasnt a "covered peril". Since the denial of the claim I have called back three times and they basically blow it off. I dont know what I should do about insurance, my renewal is up this month and I want to switch even tho its too late now for this claim. Maybe I will call and ask that they take samples of the contamintated fuel, but after what we have been through I doubt they will cover it. I guess I am going to try and figure it out myself... in my driveway.. Thanks for the feedback man.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:46 PM
mwolfe

I have Geico. Read your comprehensivepolicy very carefully. Again, having contaminated fuel should be a straight-forward comprehensive claim, no different than vandalism or a tree falling on your truck in the middle of the night. Call some other insurance companys and see iffuel contamination is something that they would cover. I'll bet you'll find that all of them do. Discuss your findings with your agent.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:29 PM
twiessmer

ill try my insurance again but if they say no dose anyone know if i have to replace the whole injector or just the nozzel, nozles are alot cheeper than buying the whole thang im just not sure if the injector bodys would me screwed as well ???

Old 04-13-2008, 10:50 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

Before you go spending an ***-load of cash on something you don't even know if you need or not, I'd take Drew's advice and if that doesn't work, take Jimmy's (since his is going to take longer). If that STILL doesn't work, you've got something that IS going to take some $$$ spending. A tank of diesel is still (somehow) cheaper than new parts.

Quick Reply: contaminated fuel ?????????