Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Smarty questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008 | 08:38 AM
KenZ
|
Veteran
Default Smarty questions

Been looking at getting a smarty for my '05 but have a question. What is torque management? I know higher fuel rail pressure makes power, and more injector timing makes more power, and the combination of the two makes more power. They talk about torque management software on there website, and that there's a difference between 'disabled' and 'modified', but what exactly is it doing?

Old 04-13-2008 | 02:01 PM
Drew
Professional
Default RE: Smarty questions

torque management is just that. . .the engine defuels itself on the low end to keep from shredding the transmission. These engines make massive torque at such low RPM's that if there were no limits the 48RE would not live long at all. the torque converter would be gone in under 1000 miles, the clutches would weld together and shafts would snap like twigs. The ISB is an exact duplicate of it's larger brothers that make in excess of 600hp and well over 2000lb-ft torque.

now Ive run all the torque management loads, currently have wild loaded and yea, the low end is nutz with how hard and quick it hits. the stock torque management keeps the way the engine runs stock, just adds power. However I do have an opinion on how the torque management works on the smarty. the throttle is WAY more responsive. just the slightest touch sends the RPM's screaming, then the harder you push the throttle just means more and more fuel gets dumped.

I'm running smarty only right now, my TST is removed and is in for warranty work. and I have found somehting out about having my TST removed, I can run the timeing programs, and it no longer sounds like I'm dropping 8d nails on sheet metal

Old 04-14-2008 | 08:23 AM
KenZ
|
Veteran

Thanks Drew, that makes sense. Haven't decided which one to get yet, as I mainly use the truck for towing the camper. Also going to check out this TST you mentioned. It would be cool to see a dually doing a massive smoky burnout!

Old 04-14-2008 | 11:29 AM
prerunner
Captain

Has anyone found out for sure if the Smarty is recognized by the dealer when in for warranty work???? There was a discussion about this before, but everyone had a different answer!!!!!!

Old 04-14-2008 | 02:58 PM
Drew
Professional

I put my smarty back to stock before David (parts/service)came to pick her up. TST also removed due to other reasons, however the test was to see is smarty could be seen. . .it took him a while but he did find where the injector duty cycles had been reset.

now, your average dealership that doesnt do much work with diesels wont find this menu or locate it.

is smarty undetectable. . .if the dealership knows what they are doing then they 'may' be able to find something, however most wont know what they are looking at.

Old 04-14-2008 | 09:17 PM
prerunner
Captain

Thanks Drew!!!!

Quick Reply: Smarty questions