Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

07 cummins, emissions controll

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:46 PM
tinspot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 cummins, emissions controll

What is the "Edge". I'm looking for something that will let me drive in stop and go Houston traffic, without the emissions light coming on. Dodge won't give me any answers. They said to call the dealer. The dealers don't know to fix the problem. If i use the Jake brake on a long grade I can count on a trip to the dealer to turn the light off.I love the brake but it seems like prolonged use stops up the particulate filter. Is there an after market solution?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:50 AM
sabersix
Default RE: 07 cummins, emissions controll

When was the last time you were at the dealer? Dodge has been putting out regular updates to the engine control software. Recommend you take your truck in to the dealer and have them install the latest "flash" update.

As far as aftermarket tuners and monitors (Edge, Smarty, et al), there are some available that will allow you to erase the code (which causes the light), but that does not fix the real problem. You will also likely void your warranty.

Take your truck to the dealer. If your regular dealer is clueless, try a different dealer.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:33 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Being you've had problems and the truck to the dealer several times if you use any power box/programmer like Edge, Bully Dog etc. you can kiss your warranty good by.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:06 PM
tinspot

don't all the dealers get the same updates at the same time?
mike@tinspot.com
does dodge know the size of the emissions problem?

Old 04-20-2008, 04:21 AM
sabersix

I believe Dodge is aware of the problem, thus the new flash every 2-3 months. The dealer uses the Star Scan tool to download the latest flash over the Internet when they hook-up your truck. Most dealers probably don't know there is a flash available until they hook-up your truck. I'd recommend taking your truck back in to be sure you have the latest programming.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 PM
tinspot

I really need objective help. My 02 light keeps coming on. I've been to three dealers. One turned the light off three diffrent times and toldme to use Megatane in the fuel and drive in tow haul all the time. I took it to the selling dealer who also turned the 02 light off and told me I didn't need to use tow haul when empty but drive with the jake brake on all the time. "The light came on 174 miles later" I took it to a new dealer to day and he said the other dealers should have cleaned the system. I'll pick it up tomorrow. I've had the truck about three months and put a little over 8,000 miles on it. I pull a goosneck trailer with about 8,000 lbs on it. A long down hill grade will turn the light on most of the time. My longest run one way is 35 miles. A lot of my driving is stop and go. The last report said the system tried tried to regenerate 161 times but was susessful only 14 times. Looks like the system needs more time and heat to work. More time is out of the question. Diesel is $4.08 in Houston. The truck is not a play toy, I have a 59 cad for that. It simply a work truck. "That doesn't work"

Old 04-22-2008, 10:57 PM
firemedic740
Veteran

The o2light comes on? Your talking about the o2 sensor is triggering the light? And you got the recall done on your truck about the o2 sensor? Is your catalyst light coming on?

Old 04-22-2008, 11:11 PM
tinspot

The amber engine shaped light is coming on. What does that mean. I have about three hot shot trucks a day that are 07 dodge/cummins and all have the same light on. These trucks are delivering material to my business.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:39 PM
tinspot

Are the 07 & 08 emissions controll on the 6.7 the same. What changes if any have been made. I have 8,000 miles on my 07 and its in the shop every week. I love what the truck can do with a heavy goosneck load but can't get an informed answere from any dealer or the factory as to the reliability of the emissions system. The emissions warranty is good for 50,000 miles. What hapens at 51000 miles and the system still doesn't work? What recoarse will have then? I can't get a straight answer from anyone!

Old 04-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Diesel Man
Rookie

Tinspot,

I've been through this before. You have to open a case with Dodge Headqauters through your dealership. If you go to Allen Samuel Katy and talk to Bill the service manager he can help you. This is the guy that helped me. He will submit your vehicles problems to Dodge and Dodge will respond back within a month or two. In my case I had a buy back offer or a 100,000mi/5 yr extended warranty.With the buy back offer I had to pay for the milage on the ODx .18cents. Plusyou must purchase anotherDodge and you have to purchase it at MSRP with no insentives or discounts. So I just opted for the warranty, that was the $6000 cheaper way to go. Let me know if you need more info/help with this.

Quick Reply: 07 cummins, emissions controll