Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

trans temp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 12:17 AM
RamItOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: trans temp?

these are a lil cooler

[IMG]local://upfiles/80693/2A1921D1CFCF4B8994DA4711794BBB74.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Dharris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: trans temp?

ORIGINAL: Bass Hunter

What kind of trans temps (auto) are you guys, and gals, seeing? I've been runin around 176-180ish unloaded and around 200 pullin the dump trailer. I installed a DD mag-hytec pan yesterday and while it takes longer for the temps to get there they still are. Seems alittle warm to me. Am I worrying about nothing?
You have nothing to worry about. My trans runs about the same temps pulling my fifth wheel. I monitor the temp of the fluid in the line running from the side of the trans up to the coolers. That's the hottest oil since the oil in that line has just left the TC. In the cooling line there is a bypass that will bypass the cooler until the temp reaches about 95 degrees, if I remember correctly. The on board computer monitors the trans fluid using a thermister mounted in the valve body of the trans. When the oil in the valve body reaches 260 degrees F then the trans is forced to downshift to raise the RPMs and thereby pump more oil. So you can see the engineers determined that the tempsshould befrom about 95 to 260 degrees F. If it is in that range they do nothing.

I have the 48RE in my 06 2500 and I assume you have something similar.

Quick Reply: trans temp?