Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

throttle sensor questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:35 PM
rico the peguin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle sensor questions

we have a 99 dodge diesel pickup. we just recently had the fuel pump replaced and 2 of the 3 computers in our truck. before we had those repairs done when we would be driving down the road the throttle would all of a sudden not respond and the check engine light would come on. when this would happen, we could put the truck in granny gear and it would crawl along. we were hoping with these very expensive repairs that would have fixed the throttle problem, however, after we got our truck back from the mechanic it started to do it again, with the throttle not responding all of a sudden going down the road. we had a different mechanic do a diagnostic test and they said that it was the throttle control sensor that needed to be replaced.
Before we dump over 500 dollars to have this additional repair done, we would like to know if any one else has expierenced the same problem.

Thanks Chris

Old 04-22-2008, 10:38 PM
02cummins
Captain
Default RE: throttle sensor questions

yes i did, and i had to replace my $1200 vp44, but it was a code P0216 (i think?) which was the timing failure for the vp44...so if its the apps (accelerator pedal postion sensor) code then im sure thats the problem

Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Yes!I went to AZ with a fellow shooter and both of us had an 01s. The whole trip he had problems with his pedal going dead. They replaced the TPS a week before the trip and he thought it was fixed, but it started acting up again on this trip. When we got back they replaced every engine sensor you can think of (MAP,IAT,Crank,Etc), the ECM and the VP44. He still had dead pedal problems. Turns out the new TPS they put in was bad. Put a second one in and it ran fine. He never got 1 code the whole time from the bad TPS.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob
they replaced every engine sensor you can think of (MAP,IAT,Crank,Etc), the ECM and the VP44. He still had dead pedal problems. Turns out the new TPS they put in was bad. Put a second one in and it ran fine. He never got 1 code the whole time from the bad TPS.
That BLOWS !!!

He probably spent over 4K just chasing down a defective sensor that was already replaced.

How did they come to the conclusion to replace it again?

Old 04-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Batphreak
Veteran

Did the mechanic tell you exaclty what code came up? If it's P0216 the Injection pump is dying. If he came up with a different code that actually flags the APPS then replacing that should fix it.Hope for the latter, the APPS is lots cheaper than the VP44.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:25 PM
02cummins
Captain

yea for sure, i just changed my vp44 this weekend, and a reman cost me $1200 with a new overflow valve

Old 04-24-2008, 12:04 AM
justviper1
Veteran

02cummins how did your truck act when the vp was dieing? i too recently got a p0216 which is the injection pump timing failure. i just can't believe that the pump is going bad because usually it will perform awesome (except for the intermittent no throttle response) and make tons of smoke with the adrenaline on. i would think that if it was going bad that it would produce white smoke if any and run really bad.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:38 AM
Mayfair
Legend

This should help you figure out if your 44 is dieing

44 DEATH

Old 04-24-2008, 09:58 PM
justviper1
Veteran

that site is really good. thanks!

Old 04-24-2008, 11:33 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

How did they come to the conclusion to replace it again?
He finally wised up and took it some place else. I suggested that he not tell the new shop anything that the other place did so that their diagnostic would not be persuaded by anything the previous shop did. Since they did not know that it had 4k of new parts that it did not need, the TPS was the first thing they replaced, even though it was not throwing any codes.

Quick Reply: throttle sensor questions